We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

Hi,

I am going to be flying into Kingston in Feb. Looking at a map all the beach towns I have heard of look miles away on the north coast?

Are there any equally beautiful beaches near Kingston? I will be spending 4 nights there and I need to find a cheap but safe place as a single female to stay and preferably somewhere where I can chill on a nice beach and swim in the sea all day.

Any help and recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

There aren't any beaches near Kingston really. You're better off finding a decent hotel with a pool around New Kingston.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

Is there a specific reason you are flying into Kingston?

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

Yes, really long story but take my word for it, if there was an alternative open to me I would have taken it. Kingston it is.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

I haven't been yet, but I have been looking in to Hellshire Beach and Lime Cay as visits on my next trip to Jamaica. Check them out, they both look like good options for beaches near Kingston. You can find some info at visitjamaica.ca/what-to-do/attractions-beach…

United States
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

"beach towns I have heard of look miles away on the north coast"

The beach resorts in Jamaica are all a distance from Kingston.

"Are there any equally beautiful beaches near Kingston?"

No. One goes to Kingston for business, industry, ports, government, banks, etc. but not as a tourist resort. Its like going to places like Hartlepool, Wolverhampton, or Hull for your holiday (only Kingston is much bigger).

"somewhere where I can chill on a nice beach and swim in the sea all day."

I would look at Ocho Rios which is about a 2 hr. ride, one way, north of Kingston through the high (over 7000 ft.) mountains. Ocho Rios is the nearest major tourist center to Kingston. Flying to/from Montego Bay is, however, a much better option if available to you.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

I beg to differ with some of the advice here...there ARE lovely beaches near Kingston but they are not as popular with tourists as the ones on the north and southwest coasts.

Closest beaches to Kingston is Hellshire or nearby Fort Clarence. Both are cool in their way, neither have hotels on them so are just for day trips. There's also Lime Key, accessible by boat, also only for day visits.

The closest beach to Kingston with a hotel on it that I would "chill on a nice beach and swim in the sea all day" is in Lyssons, St. Thomas - Golden Shores hotel, about 45 minutes from the airport to the east. Lovely golden sand beach, hotel is $65+ a night (AC rooms) and right on that beach, cute little bar/restaurant. goldenshorehotel.com/goldenshorehotel/index.…

Much more rustic and a bit closer to Kingston is Jamnesia surf camp at Bull Bay. If hanging with some cool surfers and either surfing or not sounds cool, that's a place I intend to stay one day. http://jamnesiasurfclub.webs.com/

If you are up to travel 2 hours you can be in one of the most beautiful parts of Jamaica, and one which is closer to Kingston than Montego Bay - Portland. There are places to stay from $40/night to $4000 /night - I mean that literally - and numerous beautiful beaches, waterfalls, rivers, hikes, etc.

Also 2 hours is Ocho Rios.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

I spent a month in Kingston and visited a few beaches. Hellshire was nice, but a big wind picked up during the day so it wasn't great in the afternoon. Not sure if that's just seasonal, but it happened both times I went there in January. Otherwise it's quite nice. Lime Cay is a fun day out - taking a small boat to the island, there are no services on the island but it's a good place to relax and swim about. Very quiet and definitely a unique experience because you really are on a "deserted" tropical island! I found Ocho Rios disappointing, because there is quite a bit of hassle, people trying to sell you things etc. For a single female I would recommend finding a group you can link up with.

Kingston, Jamaica
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

I endorse what Ohliz has said. There are fun beaches close enough to Kingston (30 - 45 minutes) that you can enjoy. However, apart from the beaches, if you plan your trip properly, you can have an amazing time in Kingston in February. February is Reggae Month. There should be a great line up of free reggae concerts during that month. February is also the month in which Bob Marley was born so there should also be a fun concert in Trench Town. There are museums, historical sites, galleries that you can find to visit in Kingston.

Regarding accommodations (and these will not be beach side), you can check out, depending on your budget (listed generally from low to high):

1. Reggae Hostel

2. Neita's Nest

3. Hotel Four Seasons

4. Liguanea Club

5. Altamont Court

6. Terra Nova

7. Knutsford Court

8 Jamaica Pegasus

9. Courtleigh

10. Spanish Court

If you have the time, you may also wish to explore other parts of the island. The Knutsford Express can take you from Kingston to Ocho Rios, Falmouth, Montego Bay and Negril and there you will find beaches galore.

I hope this has been helpful. If you find you need more assistance, you can email me at info@jaculture.com.

Bless

9. Re: I don't know anything about Jamaica/Kingston, please help...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16