We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica - Number of Nights

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica - Number of Nights

Hi we planning to come to Jamaica next January. We will have around 9 nights.

Can anyone suggest the best places to visit and how many in each? Definitely Kingston but apart from that, I'm not sure.

Enjoy tourist things such as sightseeing, getting out for day trips (don't mind driving abroad), beaches, live bands in the evening, etc. Definitely the Marley museum.

Thanks, Brian

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

For music, food, and culture, Kingston is the right place. I'll have lots of tips if you tell me what you're looking for.

If you're going to be Kingston-based for the trip, you should check out the Blue Mountains and various waterfalls in the East like Reach Falls and Cane River Falls. There are many wonderful beaches in Portland Parish, so I'd look into spending a couple of days out that way.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

Hi thank you for your reply.

I''ve thought about this a bit more and was thinking of flying into Montego Bay. I would then be flying hom home from Kingston. I could then maybe get a car at Montego and visit various places before arriving at Kingston. Some of them would be as you suggested. Doing it this way would mean only a couple of days max in Kingston itself though.

Possible itinerary over 8-9 days.

Montego Bay (arrive flight), stay overnight. Hire car. Visit St Ann's Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio/Portland Parish/Beaches,Reach Falls/Blue Mountains, then Kingston (depart flight). Would prob want a couple of days in Kingston to see Marley museum etc.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks, Brian

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

This is very feasible, but it's out of the ordinary, since most people come to Jamaica to stay in one place and relax, so don't be surprised when people discourage you by saying this is too much packed into too little time. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios are both pretty all-inclusive oriented and heavily touristed, while Portland is more eco-tourism and smaller places. Also, bear in mind that most of the recreation facilities in the Blue Mountains are best reached by going through Kingston.

If it's possible, buy a the Friday edition of the Jamaica Gleaner before coming into Kingston since many of the concerts, events, plays, etc will be listed in the Entertainment section. It will have things elsewhere in the Island, but frankly, most things happen in Kingston.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

Hi thanks again for reply. yes I appreciate that it may be trying to do too much in a short space of time. Had it pretty much confirmed that it would be 8 full days (9 nights) I would have.

Before Jamaica we plan to be in Mexico City for 4 full days (5 nights) as we are trying to make full use of a 241 voucher we have and she really wants to visit there.

Not sure what to do now really, Maybe trying to do too much. Probably need to have a long think about it. Would you be able to provide a possible itinerary (number of nights each destination - 2 nights each maybe?) that I could work with and discuss with her?

Thanks, Brian

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

To be clear, I'm not saying this is too much. I don't see any issue with your itinerary in Jamaica... it's probably what I would do if I were a tourist here. I was just saying that a lot of people who come to Jamaica come to be lazy, and so don't take it to heart when people discourage getting up and doing things.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

Okay great no problem thanks once again. It's possible we can extend the holiday by two days so probably add a night to each country.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

Hi, just to follow up re the above, I can't quite make up my mind whether to fly into Montego Bay or Kingston. I definitely have to fly home from Kingston but have choice of arrival airport. The consensus seems to be Kingston to explore Blue Mountains and surrounds. However there also seems plenty things to fo up arounf St Ann's Parish, Ocho Rios area etc. Can anyone provide pros/cons of arriving in either airport? Cheers, Brian

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

Mobay is a bit closer to Ocho Rios, but the difference in the length of the drive is about 30-45mins (1:45 vs 2:30). Kingston's airport will be a bit calmer and most passengers will be Jamaican, while Mobay is bigger and gets more tourists.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

From what you are describing (a trip through the North Coast area, Blue Mountains, and then Kingston), I think your itinerary sounds reasonable. The North Coast Highway is a very good road and provides some beautiful vistas around every turn. We did that drive over the course of our last vacation from Montego Bay to Portland and really enjoyed it. We thought the Portland area was beautiful (very different from the western part of the island) and would like to spend more time there and in the Blue Mountains on another trip one of these days.

Our upcoming trip is to spend a few days relaxing on the beach in Negril and then onto Montego Bay for Reggae Sumfest which is one of the best gatherings of reggae artists all year. I would enjoy doing a trip into Kingston and exploring that side of the island more, but it seems that the flights from the states are geared into Montego Bay more with better schedules and better prices on average. I think you could find plenty of beauty to enjoy on the eastern side of the island with the mountains, beaches (Portland) and especially the culture in Kingston. That's definitely on our list to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica - Number of Nights

I think arrivals at Kingston airport can be just as bad as Montego Bay airport. Last time we flew into Kingston we were waiting around 3 hours at customs, I'm not going through that again. A lot of these are the tourists who are staying with locals.

Anyhow your itinerary sounds feasible and I'm sure you'll have a good time, just ensure you get enough relaxation time too.

We'll be doing a lot of driving ourselves, we are flying into Mo Bay then driving to Kingston, spending a few days there (we might even squeeze in a visit to Port Antoni) then spending the remainder of the trip back in Mo Bay. I always miss Sumfest these days, I haven't been for years. :(

Not sure if it's just me but the food seems to be so much better down in Kingston...my son loves cornmeal porridge but we couldn't find a decent offering at all. No decent black/rum cake either...