We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril vs Sandals

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Negril vs Sandals

I'm planning my vacation and I'm trying to decide between Sandals Negril and Sandals Whitehouse. Has anyone stayed at both? I read in my travel guide that the harrassment from locals is high at Negril. Did anyone experience that? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril vs Sandals

I have stayed at both, Negril for our honeymoon and Whitehouse last year. Let me first start by saying.... ditch what ever travel guide you have that says you will be harrassed by locals. Any travel guide that says that outright, doesn't "get" Jamaica and probably won't offer you any "real" perspective. Now.... on to the differences between the 2 resorts:

Resort size: Whitehouse is much larger and spread out. It has a more "sparse" feeling. Negril is much smaller, more intimate feeling.

Beach: Whitehouse is more broad and is very long and private. Negril is more narrow, but the over all quality is better. It's also on 7 mile beach, that alone speaks for how long it is.

Grounds: Negril has been around for quite a while, while Whitehouse is new. Therefore the grounds are much more established and lush in Negril. However, Whitehouse is still beautiful in it's own right.

Evenings: Whitehouse has more of a "formal" feel, Negril more casual.

Location: Negril is close to almost everything. Whitehouse is isolated (ONLY resort in the area), and you will rely on excursions to "get out".

Rooms: All rooms at Whitehouse are ocean front, great views. Many rooms in Negril are ocean front, but some are garden view (which in some catagories are close to the main road... car noise). Room catagory is much more important at Negril.

Room service is available for "concierge" level and up in Negril, where at Whitehouse it's in "butler" catagory only.

Pool: Negril is nice, not huge. Has swim up bar. Whitehouse is a pool lovers dream. 3 large pools(2 with swim up bar), the main pool is amazing and has "zero entry".

Over all... Whitehouse is newer, sparkles more, and is really an amazing property. Negril is more intimate, and has a more romantic feel to us. Either one is a great choice. Just ask yourself... newer bigger and shinier, or smaller more intimate and more established? Personally, we will return to Negril first. We loved the more intimate feel, and the beach and ocean quality is much better.

Let us know what you decide!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril vs Sandals

kat1028: Have you been to other all inclusives in the Carribbean or Mexico to compare these Sandals to? We have been to many plus to some Sandals and are looking for a new all inclusive to try and are wondering if either of these 2 Sandals are worth the money, or if you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril vs Sandals

you say "Room service is available for "concierge" level and up in Negril, where at Whitehouse it's in "butler" catagory only."

are you sure on this? I was led to believe that the 24hr Room Service was for everyone?

or is it at a fee at other categories?

i don't see myself taking advantage but want to know if I could

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril vs Sandals

Thank you very much for your input. It is very helpful.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril vs Sandals

I have not been to the Whitehouse, but have stayed at Negril, Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios.

I loved the Negril property. I am a beach lover, and it is on 7 mile beach, so I was in my element. As far as harrassment from locals, are you talking about on the beach? I didn't experience any of this. Most of them stayed just at the edge of the property where there are huts that you can walk to and make purchases. Sandals seems to do an excellent job of making the beaches comfortable.

6. Re: Negril vs Sandals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 01:16