We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Montego Bay

Leaving for MBay in a week. What are the best tourist spots recommended to see? How much for a couple do these cost? Also how much do you tip the staff daily? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
13,095 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego Bay

"Also how much do you tip the staff daily?"

That depends on where you are staying. Some hotels include tips in the room rate and have a strict no tipping policy. Staff at these hotels can and have been fired for accepting tips. Some hotels include tips in the room rate but allow tipping (but discourage it). Finally, some resorts allow, even encourage, tipping. You need to ask what the hotels policy is when you check in (before you start tipping).

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego Bay

Tipping: this depends on where you are staying: Sandals and Couples resorts have a strict no tipping policy. If you are staying at a Spanish resort (say, a RIU), expect to tip and tip and tip as the staff got accustomed to that concept.

Some ideas for excursions: for a Reggae night, consider a Friday night at Pier One.

A stroll along the Hip Strip (many folks stop at the Margaritaville — which offers very little in Jamaican experience, but fun)

Further away would be the walk up DUnn's River Falls and the Green Grotto Caves.

Way further away is a day trip to Negril.

Have a look at this website (which is a tripadvisor owned booking site) for more ideas: https://www.viator.com/Montego-Bay/d432-ttd

Mentioned in this post
Reggae Tours
Reggae Tours
870 Reviews
Jamaica
Hip Strip
Hip Strip
730 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
3. Re: Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2017, 22:35

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego Bay

Thanks for that info. We are staying at Inerostar Rose Hall Beach. I would just assume you tip if the service and staff are good.

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
America, The...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montego Bay

At tipping resorts (where gratuities are allegedly included, but still allowed) we tip:

$2/day for daytime housekeeping and $2 for turndown

$5 for bellhop

$1 per round or two of drinks

$5 for sit down lunch

$10 for dinner

15% for spa services

I go to the bank in advance and bring a lot of $1's, $5's, and $10's with me. If you run out, bartenders can usually make change if the front desk cannot.

Edited: 24 September 2017, 13:11
America, The...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montego Bay

Also, tips are happily accepted and allowed at Iberostar. No worries.

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montego Bay

Hi! I came back from Jamaica yesterday and spent 3 nights in Montego Bay. I have to say that I was a little disappointed of Montego Bay. Apparently, this was a very touristic place, but in the '70 or so. The only thing that I think is worth it in MoBay is Dr. Cave's Beach, which is a private beach (JMD 600 per person, $6). Right now there are building something behind the beach and there is constant construction noise. But the beach is very nice. Anyway, you are probably going to have a nice beach at your hotel.

I DON'T recommend you the handcraft market, MoBay Proper (restaurant) or Margaritas Ville. I would say, you to do a day trip to Negril and that you go to the 7 Mile Beach. It is only 1 1/2 hours away and it is a really nice place to chill and enjoy the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
8. Re: Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 September 2017, 01:42

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montego Bay

If I was staying at a resort that encouraged tipping, I would make sure that the workers who do the heavy lifting got some of the action, too. I would prefer to tip the cooks, the landscapers, the folks that supplied the maids and stocked the bars, tended to the beach cleanliness as the ones who would make my vacation excellent — in my book, they are the hard workers and mostly get ignored in favor on the ones who poor from a bottle that someone else put on the shelf or someone who carries a plate from a hot kitchen that someone else made.

But, that is just my opinion.

Reply to: Montego Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montego Bay