We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach room question

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunset Beach room question

Are the "Bay View" room at SSB okay? Obviously, a little cheaper but should we go ahead and upgrade? Also, does SSB offer room service?

thanks in advance!!!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach room question

YOu spend most of your time in the room sleeping, so I'm not sure that it's worth it.

No room service. Sorry.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Beach room question

I have always booked the "bay view" or resort view or the lowest category view. However at check in I put a huge, big ,smile on my face and ask can I have a room with a nice little view. I have always ended up with at least a partial ocean view . At SSB I got the West Inn, by the water park, second floor , which was what I really wanted, but was too financially challenged to booked. I would suggest save the money for at least a day trip to Negril and beg for a nice view. Sweet talk will get everything.

Western Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Beach room question

Keep the cheaper room. I had paid additional for an Ocean Front room, but they gave us a Bay View room which was just fine. I decided to go with the refund instead of having us moved. You really don't spend much time in your rooms. After reading these forums, I requested a room at one of the Inns. There were none available. We were in Tower B on the 5th floor, which is above the dreaded disco that everyone mentions. We heard a little bit of the thumping from the music, but it did not bother us at all and I am the lightest sleeper on earth. Now that I know the property, I would prefer a room in the towers instead of the Inns (as long as we weren't on the 10th floor, of course!)

Also...as mentioned above...no room service.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Beach room question

Thank you all so much for your replies! I rely on this message board so much! We will be going to SSB the 3rd week in June. I am kind of dreading going this time of year because I know the resort will be so packed. But now that our oldest is in school, we have no other choice!!!

Did I understand correctly that you are only guaranteed reservations at the restaurants 2 of the nights you are there? Also, can children go to these restaurants? Is there a dress code?

Thanks again so much!!

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Beach room question

We were there last June and it was not really crowded. I have always been on vacation during the Summer (school age kids) so I don't know any different. Kids are allowed at the restaurant and there is a dress code. I think a pair of slacks for the gentlemen, and no flip flops. You are allowed to reserve one seating at each restaurant. The Italian was very good, the Chinese so-so.

Western Springs...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Beach room question

There is some sort of dress code for these restaurants, not sure the exact details, however, I only brought flip-flops (5 pair--assorted colors!). I wore a pair with a nice sundress. No problem. Also...my husband wore nice shorts as he did not pack a pair of slacks and again, no problem. We really enjoyed the Italian restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was okay. It was nice for a change to be waited on instead of the usual buffet. I saw children of all ages at these restaurants, so that, too, is no problem!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Beach room question

Bay View vs. Ocean Front.

First time I went we had a Garden View (now called the Resort View). It was in Tower B. Our view overlooked part of the hotel's front entrance. At night we could hear the thumping music from the band. Although we went to the entertainment each night, it was then that I decide my next stay would be in an Ocean Front room. We wanted to be closer to the action. March 2007, the Ocean Front (Tower A) was fabulous. It was also nice to awake to Caribbean Sea in the mornings, and listen to the band and see some of the stage activities from our 8th floor balcony without being downstairs at night. To sum it up, if you are not a big fan of views, stick with the bay view which is still nice. If you don't like noise, Tower A is definitely not for you. You can try upgrading free when you check in, but be prepared for your bay view in case they don't have anything else open. I hope to go again in March 2008. We will stay in Tower A again.

Italian & Asian Restaurants:

You can make a reservation at each restaurant once, during your stay. Book on the first day you arrive or a couple days before you go by phoning the resort. They do have a dress code guideline, but some do not adhere to it and management doesn't say anything. I think it's mainly there as a "guide" to give peoples a sense that not anything goes. Management knows everyone is on vacation, I think that is why they don't enforce it. Yes, children are welcomed. The restaurants are family-oriented. Sandals and sundresses, or walking shorts for women are fine. No need to get overly dressed (but some do).

8. Re: Sunset Beach room question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:19