We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Sandals resort & where??

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which Sandals resort & where??

1st time to Jamaica. Very confused on where to go. Front runners are Sandals Royal Carribean, Negril Couples Swept Away or Sandals or Sandals Dunns River. We can be swayed. We're in our early 40's and like to relax. Don't need a lot of activities. Don't want to spend forever on a bus to get to the resort or back to the airport, but don't want airplanes to ruin the trip. Loved Secrets Capri in Riveria Maya.

Please help. Going in May 2007 & need to book.

Thanks!

Wheeling, WV
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Royal Carribean which was only about a 15 to 20 minute ride from the airport, but I honestly don't remember ever hearing airplanes take off or land. We also stayed at Sandals Whitehouse which was much quieter and laid back than SRC, but it is a 90 minute ride from the airport. We loved both properties, but preferred Whitehouse as it was more spread out and we felt more relaxed there. The Sandals Dunn's River property looks amazing, too, but I think it is also at least a 90 minute ride from the airport.

I'm not a huge fan of being in a car or van - I get car sick fairly easily - but the ride to Whitehouse wasn't that bad and I really enjoyed getting to see the towns and the scenery. It gives you a taste of the whole island, I think, rather than just the "touristy" sections.

We've never been to a Couples property, so can't offer any opinions on that chain, but we've been 100% happy with both our Sandals stays.

Good luck and have fun! Jamaica is a beautiful island.

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

Any of the Sandals mentioned and the Couples resorts are excellent choices to consider. Have stayed at SWH twice and absolutely love it. Visited SRC and although it is a very nice resort, I was not thrilled with the beach and that would be the only reason I would not go there to stay, otherwise great resort. SDR is a good two - two and a half hour drive from airport. SWH is about hour and a half. SRC 15 minutes. I have not stayed at Couples SA, did visit briefly, lovely resort and don't think you would not enjoy it. CSA is about an hour and fifteen minutes from airport. If you are looking to get out and about daily, perhaps CSA would be the better choice in Negril where you are closer to other venues. If you are looking to totally relax in another beautiful setting and only interested in leaving resort one or two days, perhaps SWH should be your choice. Either way, I'm sure you will be very satisfied at any of the resorts.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

I would suggest Couples Swept Away from your last without question.

Additionally, I would recommend checking out Couple Negril, Sunset at the Palms in Negril, and Grand Lido Negril. All are excellent as far as higher end AIs go. I have spent time at, but never stayed at, each.

Don't get turned off about the Negril drive. It is beautiful and not nearly as long as led to believe by some (no more than 90 minutes including a beer stop) and it is well worth it. Negril is infinitely better than Montego Bay to me (and most other people, I would imagine).

Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

Hi 2RNS

My Husband and I just returned from the Sandals Royal Caribbean.

I picked this Sandals because I wanted a very short transfer to the hotel and a quite place to relax. That is just what we got.

We were in our room 45 minutes after the plan landed.

Meals were great at our hotel, but we could shoot over to Sandals Montego Bay any time we wanted. About a 10 minute shuttle and it goes about every hour.

The nights are quite, but again if I wanted somthing to do I would go over to Sandals Montego.

I saw lots of Plans go bye but we could hardly hear them. But they were very load at the Sandals Montego Bay Resort.

What every you do, you will love it.

Kimmer200

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

Being your first trip to Jamaica I would recommend Sandals Dunns River. It is a bit of a drive from the airport but at least you get to see more of Jamaica. Also, they have some fun things to do off site really close by (Dunn's River, Shopping excursion, horseback riding). My wife and I usually due one excursion per trip and just enjoy the resort the rest of the time. Whatever you pick I am sure you will have a great vacation as Jamaica is a wonderfull island.

Calgary,Ab Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

We loved Sandals MoBay , clean, great food, very R & R and if you want lots of activities to have fun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

I picked Sandals Whitehouse in Jamacia for my honeymoon. I based this choice on things I read about the other Sandals. It seemed like the clear choice being the newest and reading the reviews of all the Sandals. Our Honeymoon is in June so I will not have first hand experience until then.

west covina
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

How is the beach at Sandals Whitehouse? I am looking into Couples Negril as well. I am interested on an all inclusive resort (adults only) with a nice beach and pool.

Thanks in advance

Michigan
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

Negil is known for it's beach. Although Negil has a nice beach you will find more people on it cause of the number of resorts. As far as pools, Sandals Whitehouse has three large ones. The Negril Sandals will have a smaller pool.

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Sandals resort & where??

Hello Greeneagle,

The beach at SWH is beautiful. It is long, wide in many spots and you can walk it for long distances. There are many areas of it that are unoccupied, never having a problem finding a lounge chair or umbrella. As for the pools at SWH, there are no others on the island, regardless of resort that compare. SWH has three beautiful pools, the main pool being absolutely stunning. If you would like pics, pm me and I will be happy to share with you.