We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Jamaica SAFE?

USA
11 posts
Save Topic
Is Jamaica SAFE?

I was planning a trip until I read on one of the websites that Jamaica can be a bit dangerous and that concerns me. We'd probably stay at Montego Bay but we'd be interested in exploring the island. Is it safe to explore?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

It's fine.

Here's just one of the over 400 threads discussing this topic.

Enjoy Jamaica!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k13086…

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

Here is another:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147312-i110-k1293…

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

No... er uh I mean Yes! It's horribly unsafe... turn back now, lest the entire world find out about our beautiful likkle secret!

Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

It's as safe as any other place on the planet. Guaranteed safety? No. Do you have a high risk for your own personal safety? No. Will you probably have a great time and be worry free? Yes. I personally can't think of any vacation destination that does not pose some sort of safety concen, but Jamaica isn't a risky proposition. Personally, I feel safer in Jamaica than in, say, Mexico. From a safety standpoint, my most harrowing experiance on any vacation was in Hawaii. We were robbed! We've been to Jamaica seven times and visited MoBay, Negril, and Ochi. We've never felt threatened in any way on any of our JA vacations. It's our vavorrite destination.

Antigua
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

We've been to Negil , Mobay, and all the way up into the Blue Mountains.{many stops in between} Next trip we're headed to stay a few nights in Ocho Rios and head back to Mobay to see friends. You will never meet friendlier, more helpful people. Just use common sense. Never had a problem. You can explore the island on your own or take a tour if you've not feeling it. You'll be so glad you went to experience all Jamaica has to offer.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

I wouldn't say its as safe as any other place on the planet. Statistically that just doesn't hold up. What I would say is that violent crimes commited on tourists are very rare. Also the main tourist areas of Negril, parts of Mo Bay, Runaway Bay, Ochi, etc... are not troubled areas. There is a lot of crime but it is generally isolated to a few regions and is island related. Jamaica is very different than the states but I wouldn't consider it unsafe to a tourist who uses common sense.

Lakeshore/Wisconsin
Level Contributor
492 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

I heard all the "it isn't safe & you can't leave your resort" mumbo jumbo before our first trip to Jamaica this past April. We were 5 women and have traveled extensively to Mexico in the past. I have to admit I wasn't sure of how true the claims were until I experienced the island myself. Bottom line is that you have to use common sense & be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are in the world. We stayed in Montego Bay and hired a private driver and did our own tour of Negril. One day, a single lady in our group went shopping on the Hip Strip on her own w/o any problems (granted I wouldn't suggest being by yourself at night). Never once did I feel unsafe (unless of course you count driving on the highways/roads :o)--and that isn't limited to Jamaica because Mexico is no better in that regard!

We were so satisfied with our experience that we are looking at returning next spring. Plan your trip & bring your common sense with you!

negril
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

Think about it, is anywhere safe? Things can happen anywhere if you are being foolish. Don't get stumbling drunk if you don't have someone watching your back and don't flash your money. I've never had any problems in Negril.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

ditto to Jamerican's post. The statistics are real. The crime is NOT against the tourists but against each other.

Listen to Ladylions advise. Don't get drunk, stoned or stupid. Don't travel to the inner cities (Montego Bay or Kingston) at night alone. Don't flash cash or jewelry. ENJOY!!!!

Enola, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Jamaica SAFE?

do not listen to other people that say jamaica is dangerous kingston is bad but the rest of the island is beautiful and safe the locals are very nice have fun!!!