We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spirit air

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston, mass
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Topic
spirit air

has anyone ever flown from boston to montego bay, or just flown on spirit air? Looking to find out how reliable they are, they have some pretty good prices for air/hotel prices. any experiences with the airline greatly appreciated, there is about a 400.00 - 700.00 price difference with flights and hotels with other carriers for 6 nites and air.

thanks so much, still hoping to go to rdmb 10/10 - 10/16, pray for me!!! LOL

D

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spirit air

We did Spirit from Atlantic City to MoBay with a brief layover in Ft. Lauderdale each way. I think all their flights to MoBay stop in FLL.

We had no problems at all and would recommend them. We only did air with them and they were about $500 cheaper than Air Jamaica for two tickets.

Enjoy!

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spirit air

id like to try them too.

when we left jamaica there was NO line for them! and it took Delta forever to get us through!! (like 2 hours)

Mulberry, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spirit air

We flew from Tampa to Montego Bay last week.

Overall, the experience was very pleasant. They were loaded and ready to go on time, and arrived on time.

The leg room is a little less, but for the difference in price, I will deal with it.

Also, they fly from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale, and there is a difference like night and day between Miami and there! Customs and the whole deal was so much less complicated at Ft. Lauderdale.

I will definately fly Spirit again!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spirit air

P.S.

In thinking about it and talking with my wife, we both recalled that there were people from Boston on the plane when we got on in AC. So you may have a quick stop in AC as well, but they didn't have to get off the plane.

Once we got to FLL, we all changed planes.

boston, mass
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: spirit air

thanks so much for the quick input. they go from bos to myrtle beach no plane change then on to fll plane change to mbj dep bos at 5:40 am and arriving mbj at 12:15, I didn't think that was too bad everyone else is more expensive and not getting in until 8;00 pm and if you want to pay 500.00 - 700:00 more u can fly a diff carrier that gets u in later. only draw back is myrtle beach stop and that theres only one flight going to there and coming back and it arrives back in boston at midnite. early arrival to mobay yeah!!!!! really late arrival home booohhhh savings yee ha!!!! lol

thanks again, hope to go!!!!

D

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spirit air

I just flew with Spirit from FLL to Myrtle beach last week - both flights were perfect and on time. The plane was new and clean, if a little cramped.

It is well worth the savings of hundreds of $$$$

Be warned - as of October 1st they will start charging $2.00 for a tiny plastic cup of soft drink, coffee, tea or water. They also charge for any type of snack food - so just be sure to buy a drink in the terminal after you go through security.

Heck - for $2.00 for a soft drink - you might as well start your vacation right then and there and pay only $3.00 more to imbibe in an alcoholic beverage! (Rum being first choice, of course!)

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spirit air

If you search back through this forum, you will read posts of my experience with Spirit - Tried them twice to Mo Bay from NY - problems both trips! I do fly them to Myrtle beach, and would do a cheap flight to FL on them - Never ever again with a connecting flight. Also, their prices look good, but once you add on the taxes and fees (Theirs seem higher than other airlines), Plus paying for your luggage (every checked bag - you are allowed one carry on only), etc... it can actually be cheaper on another airline - Plus, look out if you have a problem - you can't get through to their customer service every - and if you have a flight credit to use, they charge an $85.00 admin fee that they won't let you apply the credit towards - you have to pay for the $85.00 fee, no matter what.

I would check cheapcaribbean.com - they have some good package deals.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
226 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spirit air

Bahamamama:

I always fly Spirit to Jamaica, twice a year, from Tampa through Ft. Lauderdale and on to Montego Bay. Excellent air line. They replaced their entire fleet of planes last fall with brand new ones. You can get excellent vacation rates through Spirit Vacations. However, they do not yet have the technology to be able to allow their customers to select their seats and boarding passes in advance. You must do it at the airport the day of the flight. I think you can select your seats in advance if you buy just flights directly though the Spirit. The vacation center Spirit uses does not have that technology. They told me they are working on it, though. Spirit is a welcome relief from American and the hassle of going through Miami. Ft. Lauderdale, Spirit's base, is much nicer.

BigJ

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spirit air

If you book directly with Spirit's web site, you can choose your seats in advance and print boarding passes (for domestic flights).

Winter Haven, Fl
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spirit air

Question for everyone also..... We have a bunch of couple joining us in Jamaica and most of us are flying Air Jamaica. My maid of Honor is flying Spirit and said they charge you for EVERY bag you check with them. Is that true?

I thought that was rather crazy. Air Jamaica has a limit of two per person and 50lbs per bag but not charging you for every bag.

Can someone help out?