We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food and drinks brought into Jamaica

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
food and drinks brought into Jamaica

I have a question, can you bring food and drinks into Jamaica? I was wanting to bring some snacks, juice and a couple of bottles of Mt. Dew. I wasn't sure about bringing food into the country.

Thanks, 3 days and counting

Pam

New Jersey
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

You can bring snacks and drinks into Jamaica. I always bring them for my kids. You can't bring uncooked meat or fresh fruit. I found this out the hard way. I saved a ham sandwich to eat during the ride to the hotel but they took it from me. They said meat and fruit can carry parasites that are foreign to Jamaica. Live and learn. At least they didn't put me in jail.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

we bought decent brandy from england into jamaica to keep in our room no problem mon.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

Brought snacks from our plane ride to Jamaica, nobody said a word. Brought soda, but if you are flying AJ, they must be bottles that can be closed. They will take away cans.

grand rapids
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

We brought snacks like chips, cookies, candy, etc. If you are able to bring Mt Dew into Jamaica, PLEASE let me know. I was worried about bringing pop because of how they handle the luggage in Jamaica (You'll see once you get there). Their airport is nothing like what they have in the states. They have a big conveyor that just kinda dumps all the luggage in this big area and you have to "search" for yours. Because by the time you get thru customs and get downstairs to where the luggage comes off, there are PILES of luggage that come off for all the flights. Nothing is separated by Flight name. We were there in 2003 and looks like maybe some renovations were being done. Just be careful is you bring it. I am a Mt Dew drinker and it is hard to find. Most restaurants carry Coke products. The stores have Coke products and their own Jamaica brand beverages. (Chubby, Kola)

Good Luck and have fun w/or w/o Mt Dew

Peace

Connecticut
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

Our luggage was very organized when we arrived. Flight numbers were posted and everything. It seemed like we were the only flight arriving at the time, I don't know if that made the difference or not!

tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

Thank you for the info. I too am a BIG Mt. Dew fan. I don't do coffee so it is like my morning coffee. I am going to put in some 16oz bottles and see what happens. I was really curious about the food though. My kids love their snackies and I wanted to take some with us.

Once again, you guys are so helpful.

2 days and counting.....

Pam

chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

When I was there last we brought bottled water and bottled soda and didn't have any problems. We knew the luggage was probably shook up a little so we didnt open them right away, but no other problems! We also brought 3 boxes of Chewy Granola bars, needless to say I didn't get to eat one! I met the cutest little 10 year old boy (Leo) on the beach (Turtle Beach in Ochi) and he had never had one before, so we gave them to him. 2 days later he said him and his friends loved them!!

Houston
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

OK, so if Laurel was able to bring brandy I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I brought my Tarantula Tequila??? I wanted to bring a bottle but wasn't sure if customs would allow it. Even though I'll be staying at an all-inclusive I want to bring a bottle so I can do some SHOTS!!!!

Columbus Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

So, you cannot bring a cans of pop?

im planning on bring a four pack of full throttle to jamica for my hotel room? can i bring or can i not bring it?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food and drinks brought into Jamaica

Actually there is not Coke anymore on the island. If you do find Coke it's not new.

You cannot bring any food or drinks into a foreign country legally. Most do however and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

What's the worst that can happen...they confiscate it. Doesn't happen though.

Pack your cans of pop or whatever in sealed baggies....then use the baggies while you are there to store food etc. Open food = bugs and ants. Enjoy.