We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

DFW-TX
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

Day 1

The first morning of our Honeymoon started at 5:40 am. A short dash of final packing, showering, a quick trip to Jack in the Box (by Kara), we were ready to load up and go. I set my alarm clock an hour late. I thought I set my alarm for 5:40 am, but I actually set it for 6:40 am. Miraculously, I awoke on my own, on time. My dad drove us to the airport and we had plenty of time to check, in go through security, go through the duty free shop and even play several games of Quarto before boarding our flight.

Before take off we were offered refreshments including mimosas. We were in Business Class and we never want to take coach again. Our wonderful amenities included an in flight movie with complimentary ear phones, a bowl of heated mixed nuts, a wonderful tortellini pasta with cream sauce, a tossed salad, and a whole grain roll. Then they offered wine galore – we declined the wine. Next they brought us warm cookies with cold milk, and even offered seconds on the cookies. I watched the movie, Jeff did not watch it. We each took a short nap and arrived 10 minutes early. We were on the second row of the plane so we were out of the door and ahead of the line at immigration and customs. We walked past several men asking if we wanted a taxi driver. As soon as we walked outside, we found our taxi driver, Dixon. He had a sign with both our names on it. He walked us to the curb and asked us to wait while he got the car. We were offered a Red Stripe and declined.

Dixon drove us to the Polkerris, our bed and breakfast, which was a short 10 minute drive, during which Jeff asked about another driver who offered people cell phones. Dixon pulled one out, pulled over bought us a prepaid card and carried our luggage all the way upstairs to our room. Oh yeah, he got a good tip!

The room was refreshingly cold and elegantly decorated. It was quite nice. Our pool is right outside the front door of our room. The entire place is immaculately landscaped around the pool and the entire house. Clarissa greeted us. She welcomed us warmly, and came back with two glasses of iced limeade. Inside our mini fridge contained a large bottle of water and a complimentary bottle of champagne. They even brought us a filled ice bucket. There is a huge mango and grapefruit tree in our front yard. Our terrace view is of the ocean, and it spans as far as you can turn your head. Words can not describe how beautiful this place is.

We unpacked and changed clothes and took several pictures of the bed and breakfast. We walked down to the owner’s other property the Vista De La Bahia. There we saw several types of hummingbirds and spoke with the owner for several minutes. Peter offered to let me call my dad from their phone to tell my family we arrived safely. That was so nice! Then he directed us down a private path that we have keyed access to that takes us from his other property all of the way to the hip strip. We walked half a block to the right and discovered The Pelican restaurant which is also owned by Peter Scudamore. We checked out the menu and drank a Red Stripe beer – it was pretty good. We walked the other direction towards downtown. Several hustlers tried to push their goods or drugs but we learned a simple “no thanks” was usually sufficient. We went into a craft market. The shop owners all wanted us to visit their booth. We made an excuse and quickly left. They asked us to come back and we said we would but we never did. We probably would have if they weren’t so pushy! Then we walked by the beach and Jeff picked up a black bean type seed to a tree resembling a mimosa tree but bigger. The locals affectionately call the seeds shakers because they sound like a rattle. We strolled down the hip strip for a while and looked in several souvenir shops. I looked at t-shirts and key chains. We did buy a key chain for our vacation wall and a hand made photo album. We strolled back up the hip strip to the Pork Pit and ate our first Jerk Chicken and Jerk Pork. It was delicious! We talked to a nice guy and found an internet place right in front of the entrance to our private path. We went into the internet café because we left some information Jeff researched at home. We paid $1 for thirty minutes of internet use. I sent a mass e-mail and a message to Matt asking him to send us phone numbers to tour companies Jeff researched and we forgot to bring when we packed in an hour and a half. We came home showered and started this journal. It is only 10 pm and we are ready to sleep and get ready for another day!

We Kept this journal every day so I hope you all enjoy the details of our trip!

It is typed from Kara's perspective but I made my share of additions!

Much more to come!! When I get time!

Jeff and Kara

Reggae Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Travel Around Jamaica Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chukka Caribbean Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

What airline did you take?

Level Contributor
790 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming!!

DFW-TX
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

We were on American Airlines

J & K

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
982 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

I have been wondering about this property thank you for coming back with a report!

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

im interested in checking out this property next time im there, what is the easiest way to get there from the hip strip (i stay at RDMB)??

also, where'd you get internet access for a buck???

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

Keep up the GREAT report!

DFW-TX
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

Thanx to all!

Internet access= It is a little place right next to the Brewery, I cant remember the exact name of it. Which is a shame as many times as we were there! I think it was something like Boulkes or Boukies, I dont remember! Looking from the ocean, it is just to the right of the Wexford.

The private path to the Polkerris and the Vista de la Bahia is literally right behind it also.

Where is the property?=

The best way to get there is Corniche Rd whis is just to the left side of Coral Cliffs, go up and to the right and up past the construction (remodeling the Wexford I think) and you will see two beautiful places on each side of the road with nicely painted security walls. on the right is the Bahia, on the left is the Polkerris.

Or you can go into the pelican restaurant and ask the manager to call up to speak with Mr Peter Scudamore.

Their website is polvista.net and there is a contact email for him there. He usually answers email 2 or three times each day.

He let us see the Bahia and it is beautiful too but I think I am happy with the Polkerris.

If you book, Please tell them that Jeff and Kara had a wonderful time and that we say hi!

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

We are going to Montego Bay in Nov and I am looking at Polkerris B&B, I am trying to decide if I want to be upstairs or downstairs. What was your opinion of your room and what was the view other than the pool. I think I may opt to get the top floor with the ocean view. It sounds really nice and affordable esp after getting back from Italy/Tuscany and getting less for our $$$'s, tho the trip was great.

DFW-TX
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

First you should know that the Polkerris and the Vista de la Bahia operate as one entity. Both have beautiful pools and are great places to stay!

I preferred the Polkerris. Both the rooms downstairs at the Polkerris have double beds and have a staircase to the veranda where you will be served Breakfast and you can hang out there as much as you like. The rooms upstairs are across the pool from one another and the balcony facing the ocean is right there on the other side of a glass encased room. one room has a Queen size bed which is the room we stayed in and it was great!

The other has a king size bed and although I didnt see inside, I hear it is a little larger and is the most requested room.

You will not be disappointed with either place! They are both beautifully landscaped and both have a panoramic view of the ocean from the balcony!

If you PM me I can send you a video I shot of the Polkerris.

Tell them Jeff and Kara say hi!

10. Re: Trip report; Day 1 :Arrival to Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 06:18