We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Oaks, NY
2 posts
Save Topic
Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

We are planning to go to a Sandals this October and have decided on one of the Jamaica resorts. We are leaning toward Mobay or Royal Carribean.

Does anyone have any pros or cons about either? We are in our mid 30's. We are looking for a fun, active time but not a 'party, party, party' sort of place.

Three years ago we went to LaToc (now the St Lucia Golf Spa & Resort) for our honeymoon and had an absolutly wonderful time. It had just the right mix of activity and quiet for us.

Has anyone been to St Lucia Golf Spa and also either MoBay and/or Royal Carribean. I would like some opinions as to which one is more similar to St Lucia G&S. I am sure neither will be as nice, but which one has closer feel?

Since my wife might be pregnant, I feel I am limited to MoBay or Royal, since we want to avoid the rough ride, and want to be close to the airport in case there are problems and I have to get her back to the states quickly.

Thanks in advance

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

WE are off to Royal in less than two weeks. We are mid 30's who wanted a little bit of relaxation and fun when we wanted. We felt that Royal gave the better balance and if I really want to party all day I can quickly take a shuttle to MoBay.

Glen Oaks, NY
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

I am sure we will end up spending time at both resorts, guess it's a matter of where we want to set up as 'home base'. Both are about the same distance and price.

I would love to hear your take on them but unfortunatly we will probably be booking before you get back.

Long Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

Hello Fred 1969, I'm also a New Yorker (Long Island) My wife and I are both in our mid forties and have been to Sandal's MoBay the past five years. Obviously we love it. We also last year visited RC for the evening and thought it was very nice. Saying that, I would still stay at MoBay. We are not party animals by any stretch and I believe the misconception is you have to be to stay at MoBay. As I've written in my reviews of my trips, we relax, relax, and relax some more. The beach is beautiful at MoBay, much smaller and in my opinion not as nice at RC. I would say that the entertainment at both are about the same at night, during the day more action probably at MB, but what we love is you don't have to partake in it. We love just laying out on the beach. We're usually in bed by 11:00, but if you want to stay up later, people have a great time at the piano bar. If I were choosing between the two, MoBay would be my home base and I would go over to the RC for the Thai restaurant and as a change of pace. The first thing to "hit" us was the beach. There is no comparison between the two. (In my humble opinion). Any other questions, feel free to email me. I would be happy to send you pics of both places. Let me know.

Anthony

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

The Royal is a nicer looking resort and the guests tended to be a little older compaired to MoBay. I stayed at the Royal and we took the shuttle to mobay. I was glad that we stayed at the royal it was more of what I had expected and wanted. The royal is fancier and in my humble opinion more laid back. If you read the descriptions of the two resorts provided by Fodors you will get the idea. My husband and I are in our late 20's and we found the organized sports were a lot of fun and if we wanted to relax and have some peace and quiet it was available as well. Happy travels.

bmt
Limestone,New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals: MoBay or Royal?

Hi Fred, WE stayed at the Royal caribbean in 2000, The resort was very elagant , the staff was outstanding. One con that I can think of at mobay the airport is very close so you get alot of noise from the planes, However we did have noise from planes at the royal also. The royal is about ten minutes from the airport so that would work for you, I'm sure mobay is the same or maybe even a little shorter. The activities were fun and lasted all day. There didn't seem to me like there was a whole heck of alot of partying going on, usually at the piano bar in the evening. They do have the offshore island with the resturant[ not sure how that is due to lighting strike and burnt it to the ground before we arrived] but from what I understand its all been rebuilt. If you do go to the royal and see Millie [ the piano player ] or the pool bar bartenders Patrick, Donette, or Kay please tell them the Bill and Maryellen said hello. We are also going to sandals in november, but we are staying at the whitehouse this time. The ride from the airport should lets say be rather exciting. Have a great time