We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llanrhystyd, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

Hi Everyone,

Have just had a call from our bank here in the UK, apparently someone in Jamacia has been purchacing Gas and treated themselves to the cimema last night and we were home here in Wales.

Funny really because we only used our card in reputable shops.

My Husband says he has a fair idea which shop had cloned it but we cannot say on here can we?

So this is just a little warning to all our fellow travelers to take care with your card, don't leave them out of your sight. We did'nt think that we had but, there you go we must have.

This post is not to frighten people from going to Jamaica but a cautionary one.

Wishes

Pat x

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

nice work by your bank...kudos to them......

xxx

Sewell, NJ
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago, except they were purchasing items not to be mentioned in print. In any case we tracked it back to the airlines and the specific clerk who waited on us. You just never can tell! He asked us questions that didn't seem proper to ask at an airport for tickets that were already purchased, just be careful & check your statements.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

I had that happen to me before too - and my bank caught it before I did - My credit card decided to take a little trip to Italy, and forgot to invite me along! Fortunately, I could trace exactly where I had used it (a local store)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

While I have been fortunate enough to never have it happen to me, I have heard it is a good idea to tell your credit card company where you are going and when you are leaving and when you will be returning so they can track any charges made and flag those that don't add up to the info you left with them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

When this happened to us, 6 weeks after we got home, the Credit Card company ( who knew our travel dates ) still allowed the charges, it was the Vendor who noticed it, notified us, and stopped the order from being processed.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

Hopefully Jamaica catches up with technology and will start using the CC machines that scan the chip in the most recent version of the card which requires you to enter your PIN. I just returned from Puerto Vallarta,MX and most machines there use them already. Funny thing is here in Canada we need to catch up as well. I've not encountered the new machines anywhere that I've used my card with exception of one place. Once the world catches on it will eliminate credit card fraud.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

It happened to us last year in a certain popular shopping centre in Ochio Rios, the card was clones and then used some months later in Lithuania, but he card company stopped it after several online purchases. We can pinpoint where it was cloned as only one shop took the card out of site to swipe it. We actually lost no money as we are insured for this but "DO NOT LET YOUR CARD OUT OF YOUR SIGHT FOR ANY REASON".

Maryland
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

We've had it happen here in the states more than once over the years. It is not a Jamaican thing. Crooks are all over.

Llanrhystyd, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

Hi All,

Thank you for your input about my credit card problem. I did not mean to make it sound that it was a Jamaican problem (not for one minute) but the Jamacians are so friendly and helpful that it is much easier for you to drop your guard when you are on holidays relaxed and happy.

No it really was a cautionary message to all my fellow travellers.

Wishes

pat x

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alert!!!!!!! Credit card fraud

BP

Please explain this Pin # CC thing. I'm not familiar with it.