We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road to whitehouse

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
road to whitehouse

I too am concerned about the road to whitehouse - is it trecherouus - how are the drivers? We leave Sunday - I have been tempted to change resorts - but have heard so much about sw - I hated the trip to the hotel in St. Thomas - it was in an open air "jitney" and terrifying - is this the same?

Plainwell, Michigan
Level Contributor
836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road to whitehouse

Well I can't speak for Whitehouse but we traveled the road to Sandals Negril and I must admit that it is very narrow, winding, and rough. The drivers have their routes "down to a tee." However, just knowing that so many other people traveled it (and survived) I knew the end result would be the AWESOME resort. The ride to Negril was almost 90 minutes so I suspect Whitehouse will be another 30 minutes on top of that~ on a good day.

If I were you (and I'm not) I'd "GO FOR IT!" We sooooooo loved Jamaica that we are returning to go to the new IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall.

Happy travels wherever you may go.

Jan :)

TC, MI
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road to whitehouse

The drive to Whitehouse is NOT that bad. It's long, it's curvy & hilly, but Sandals would not use a driver that was reckless. There's a stop mid-way to stretch your legs or use the restroom.

Sandals would not use a driver that was reckless or made the guests uncomfortable.

SW is a fabulous resort.... well worth the drive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: road to whitehouse

We went to SWH last year. My wife was a bit concerned about the drive too after reading about it. It really ended up not being all that bad. Depending on how many people are going at that time you mihgt be in a small van or in a larger van that holds 20 or so people. The vehicles are fairly new and in good repair so no concerns there. The route takes you up and over the mountains rather than around the shore. It is about 90 minutes long unless you hit some traffic leaving MoBay. They will sometimes make a stop at about the half way point if people ask. We were too anxious to get there so we all said to continue on. The road is narrow in spots and curvy at times but really not bad. Sections of the road seemed newly paved and others were kind of rough. Also they drive on the left side of the road so that can be a little unnerving. If you happen to be traveling in the dark then it might make me more nervous but not during the day. Know that these drivers make hundreds of trips per year on this road and know it very well. Enjoy your trip. I wouldn't change resorts. SWH was awesome!

kelowna, BC canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road to whitehouse

Hello chrisjaggirl,

We did the drive in November to whitehouse. We were in a large van/bus that seated maybe a dozen people. Most of the people in there were returnee's to whitehouse and were talking about the drive and saying it is not to bad. For myself wherever I go I love looking at the country I'm in, as much as possible. I found the drive not bad at all.

Yes they drive on the wrong side of the road and the steer on the other side, as we are used to, but the drivers know the road very well. We had 2 different drivers and they were excellent. There are numerous curves, potholes, and people walking on the road, but again they know. After spending 8 days at whitehouse and throughly enjoying the resort, I wouldn't think of changing. My brotherinlaw has a little motion sickness in his gene's, and he sat up front with the driver, so he could use his brakes. He never had a problem. Enjoy

5. Re: road to whitehouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 20:19