We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

This will be my first trip to Jamaica and, other than Disney, my first trip with my kids. I two daughters 3 and 4 that will be coming with us.

I heard some bad things about safety outside the resort so I want to know if that is true or not.

Also, are there any safe/fun activities anyone recommends for all of us? We will be there for about a week and a half. Or should we just stay on the resort property?

Thanks in advance!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

I meant to type Rose Hall and I am referring to the Hilton (in case there is some other Rose Hall on the island somewhere) ;0)

CAROL STREAM IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

When are you going. We will be there march 28th thru april 4th.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

March 27-April 5th

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

By all means, get off the resort property!! Having kids of that age will definitely limit the activities you'll be able to do, but there are a few things around that will be age appropriate. Chances are, the whomever is warning you about safety issues in Jamaica has never been there. We've been to Jamaica several times and have never felt safety was an issue...now, of course use the same common sense you would in any metropolitan area here in the states. We're bringing our four year old for the first time this April and the only safety concern I have is weather or not our transportation will have seatbelts to strap in the carseat. Jamaica has neither seatbelt or carseat laws.

Some excursions that will be fun for all include (if you do a search on each of these here in JA forums you'll find more info): Luminous Lagoon, Rockland Bird Sanctuary, shopping on the hip strip (depending on how your kids handle that kind of thing) etc. There's much more to do, I'm sure others will have more/better suggestions...like I said, it's our first trip with the little deadhead, so I'm kind of a newbie in that regard ;) When all else fails, revert to the old standby...beach, shovel, bucket...don't you wish you're as easily entertained as your kids?

Whatever you decide to do, relax, immerse yourself in the vibe, adjust to island time and you'll have an absolute blast...so will the kids!!

Level Contributor
1,452 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

There's not much right outside the resort and my suggestion would be to hire a deiver (ask one of the bartenders) and go at your own leisure. You may want to go into MoBay itself and visit Richmond Hill. Lots of history and a gorgeous view. Enjoy RHR, I'm sure you and your family will love the waterpark......

CAROL STREAM IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

Aziah we will see you there

North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

I guess we will! How old are your kids?

CAROL STREAM IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

Our 2 boys are 11 and 8.My brothers boys are 13 4 and 3 who are also traveling with us.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

well i am sure we will see you around! we are the ones with the two short-haired blonde girls ;0)

...at least we hope we will be there. the girls have a fever now so I am hoping they get over their illness soon :0(

CAROL STREAM IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rose Hill in 2 Weeks with Small Children

Hope they get over being sick too. we will be the ones with the 5 blonde boys