We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to jamaica - questions

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ipswich
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to jamaica - questions

Hi all, will be coming to Montego Bay and staying at the Hilton Rose Hall for a week from Tuesday 12th and needed to check a few things that arent really clear from what ive been able to find on here so far

1, yes its the question of currency again! We're all inclusive but were planning on bringing £400-500 for a couple of meals outside the hotel (more on that later) and for excursions and tips. The US $ exchange rate is shocking at the moment (approx 1.4 to the pound) so should I be looking at bringing all Jamaican dollars? Is there anywhere that wont take them? Will I get a worse deal paying with them over US $ in any restaurants or even at the hotel? Should I bring a 50/50 split of US and Jamaican $?

2, As mentioned many times before, it seems some people are able to ring the hotel in advance and book their meals at the special restaurants in the hotel...is this neccessary? I was planning on booking our tables for those when we check in.

3, In addition, we're hoping to check out a couple of the local restaurants for special nights out, so far ive seen Marguerites and the Houseboat Grill which seem to be to our taste, am I missing out on any others? We're not too worries about cost as its a special occasion, somewhere off the beaten track would be great...im also hoping to check out the pork pit for lunch!

I heard that the hotels can also arrange to book these for you and transport is laid on to and from the hotel, is that right?

4, Finally, Im a hilton honors member. Is it right than we can get a room upgrade at the hotel? If so should I ask about this in advance of the holiday or can I do so at check in?

Sorry, I know that there is a lot there and its all ground thats been covered in some detail before but there is often conflicting info flying about so I wanted to be sure.

Im so excited about this holiday, my first trip to the caribbean!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

Can answer one of you questions..have a great time by the way, jamaica is beautiful..

1. you can pay in either currency, the us dollar is poor at the moment and the ja dollar will give you more for your money.. Most places accept both..except i have found some of the non toursit places prefer ja dollars so i now take mainly ja and a only a few us dollars..I use the atm machine too while there so that i am not carrying too much money and spending too much..

do go off resort, sometimes going with a private driver works out cheaper than through the hotel..

ipswich
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

Thanks for a quick reply...i think i'll take mostly Jamaican dollars with a few US if needed.

We've been given a number of a driver called Dennis by Liam (supasparx) so should be great on that front...

thanks again...

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

Please call the houseboat grill when you arrive on the island. They have a free pick up but I'm not sure if that would include where the Hilton is (out in Ironshore). But may as well ask right?

I love the houseboatgrill as it's unique and has decent food. Enjoy!

Wayzata
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

We found the best exchange rate was at the ATM machine. The one we used dispensed both US dollars and Jamaican. In the smaller towns it's best to have Jamaican.

ipswich
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming!

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

I think you should check with Gregg Connell of Reggae-tours for a driver. He comes HIGHLY recommended. He and his staff are great.

Connellgregg@yahoo.com

876-570-2983 tele

7. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2009, 14:09
Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

I try to use the currancy that the meal/ drink/ service is priced in, which will be either US or Ja. I would wait to exchange money until you get to Jamaica. At least in the US the charges for exchanging money are very expensive.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

Margarites is not that great for the price. I would recommend the Houseboat.

Luzerne...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to jamaica - questions

As per the comment concerning ATM exchange rates:

Yes, they tend to be the best;

But don't wait 'till you get to the Hilton - their machine only dispenses dollars plus a US$6 fee tacked on.

We had problems with ATM's throughout Jamaica except those of Scotia Bank - which worked in every town I used them in.

Your upgrade possibilities will depend on what level of HiltonHHonors you are.