We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Fee

Kingston, ON
2 posts
Save Topic
Exit Fee

I know that both Cuba, and Mexico require you pay an exit fee to leave the country...I think of $25?? Does Jamaica do the same thing?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit Fee

Hello fellow Kingstonian.

If you purchased your package after March 1st. you have nothing more to pay. If you purchased it before March 1st. there is a $3 fee payable at the MoBay airport checkin. All other taxes are prepaid when you purchased your package.

Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit Fee

We had a departure fee we had to pay at the Montego Bay airport. We flew Northwest, funny thing is some of our group were charged the fee as to some did not pay at all. Be prepared to pay some sort of fee. I paid $2.50 and then again there were 3 others in the group of 8 that did not have to pay any departure fee...weird.....

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit Fee

Not weird really. As I posted above if you purchased your ticket before March 1st you pay, if after then you don't because it was introduced March 1st. $3:00 CDN or $2.50US, no big deal right. Just make sure you have exact change.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit Fee

Hey BP,

Dig the new avatar!

We booked our trip after March 1 (I think...have to check the receipts to confirm) and we paid the airport fee on our way out...thought we were covered w/ our package so we didn't have exact change and it wasn't an issue...good suggestion though to keep things moving smoothly. I know a lot of people are uptight about the fee, but whatever...it's a few bucks, big deal...not worth the time it would take to argue about it if we did wind up paying twice.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit Fee

There is no consistency on the new fee...the amounts are different for everyone and I purchased my ticket before March 1st...and didn't have to pay a thing.

Soms82...the exit fee that you're referring to in Mexico is paid when you purchase your ticket.

Jamaica just started up with a new fee (minimal amount) that some airlines have been charging when you exit. Have a few dollars ($5.00us or 500J minimum) ready to pay at the counter when you depart....and you will be fine.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit Fee

Just got my taxes itemized on my itinerary from West Jet:

Nav/Ins: $15.00

Toronto/ AIF: $20.00

Departure Tax: $23.75

Tourism Fee: $12.50

Jamaica PFC: $3.13

Montego Bay AIF: $6.25

Security Fee: $11.68

ATSC: $17.00

GST/HST: $1.00

Lots of fees for Canadians eh? lol.

7. Re: Exit Fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 05:32