We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

I know that these waterfalls can get crowded with tours from cruise ships. Does anyone know if there are certain days of the week that are better to visit Dunns River Falls? I remember reading somewhere that Tuesdays through Saturdays are the busiest. I am not sure if that is true or not. We booked a driver to take us from MoBay to Ocho Rios on a Monday. If anyone has an idea please advise.

Thanks!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Cruise ship schedule:

www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=480&date=4

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Thanks so much Jammon!

South Shields...
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Dunns is very touristy. You only have to look it up on here and see the crowds of people. We skipped it and went to YS Falls in the morning. Absolutely breathtaking.

We booked with Barrett Adventures. You can see their page on Tripadvisor.

South Shields...
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Sorry, forgot to add if you do decide on Dunns, go early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Thanks for the advise...haha of course I picked Monday that week before I read the cruise line info (the link Jammon provided on this thread). Monday is one of the only days there will be a cruise ship docked in Ocho Rios during the week we are there. That is just my luck! Originally we were staying in Runaway Bay so I hired a private driver to take us to Ochi for the day...He is now picking us up from RIU Montego Bay at 7:30am. I believe we are doing zip line 1st, followed by ATV ride, then Dunns River Falls and then white river tubing. Dwight from toursinochorios.com is arranging the trip so I am not sure what time we will get to the falls at. I beleive all of the activities are relatively close. The entire trip is about 7-8 hours. May be I can ask him if he could take us to the falls 1st. He has been wonderful to deal with so far and I have spoke with him on the phone several times. If anyone would like his contact info...his email and cell phone are listed on the website.

My next trip to Jamaica I plan on staying in Negril and going to YS falls and Mayfield Falls. On this trip we are going to Negril for one day but there are so many things I would love to see that are closer to Negil so I am planning on making that my next vacation spot in Jamaica.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

I am a friendly person...but I think if I had to hold hands with people all the way up the falls it would get on my nerves ;) Hopefully since there are just 2 of us in our group we can avoid that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

i will say having gone at various times and of varying business, if you are not part of a tour group, you can avoid them and still fully enjoy your climb... tour groups tend to climb to the left, keep your selves to the right and you likely will hardly notice them... you can also sneak by the vendors a lot easier if it is busy at the top... i hear they can be a tad aggressive, but i've never had an issue (i think the tour groups tend to direct their people to them rather than show them the easier way to get off the property... last few times i've been i didn't go anywhere in the vicinity to them to be bothered...

i'd say if you do it last in the afternoon, you're equally or maybe even more likely to have less of a crowd as well b/c most cruise-shippers need to be back to the ship by 5pmish and typically schedule their adventures for as early as possible and look to shop before returning to the ship (no one wants to lug purchases around to excursions)... i'd do any shopping you want to do first, put purchases in the car and climb the falls very last if it was my day :)

just my thoughts...

Chelle

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

Thanks Chelle! Good point about the afternoon - You are always so helpful.

9. Re: Best Day(s) of the Week to Visit Dunns River Falls???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 07:26