We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

Staying at IBRHS from 8/5-8/9 and was curious what the best way to call back home to Texas. Is there decent cell service or should we get a pre-paid card? We stayed at the Iberostar Lindo last year and making calls was a pain. Just curious if it was any better in Jamaica.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

I was just at The Grand and used my AT&T Blackberry several times from our room and had no problem. I put on the international phone plan ($5.99) and i made several calls.

I also e-mailed my family and friends and they e-mailed me right back to my Blackberry.

We justed returned home on July 6th so I have not got my AT&T bill yet.

The cell service seemed to work fine, I seen several others around the pool on their phones, I never took my to the pool.

Hope this helps?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

Did you have to dial anything specific to get back to the states...like a country code or anything like that? Or just the 10 digit number like you would dial here in the states?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

no you just dial direct. However....I caution you about using phones till you see what the roaming charges are.

Depends on how many calls you plan on making to be honest. If it is only a couple I would and have for many years before I bought my jamaica cell phone...flip an employee a couple of bucks and use their cell phone.

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

I agree with WR. We had a fairly hefty bill waiting for us after using our cell phones with all of the roaming and minutes used calls (Verizon). This time, using the advice of many who know, we bought a cheaper phone, will add a SIM card and international minutes for under $20 and get 1000 hours of calls - definitely worth it. When our week is done, we are leaving the phone with a Jamaican friend, who could use it.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

Just send emails it'll be free or bring a laptop and get skype which will be free

6. Re: Calling to/from the US from MBJ (Iberostar)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 06:16