We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American or Jamaican dollars

Immingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
American or Jamaican dollars

My husband and I are to the Riu Montego Bay in September, can anyone tell me whats the best to take, American or Jamaican dollars. Thanks

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American or Jamaican dollars

We have always just taken US$ and have never had a problem.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American or Jamaican dollars

We always take both...

We pay for tours etc in Us dollars and nearly everything else in Jamaican..like tips,any snacks,gifts.

Your money seems to go further with Jamaican..

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American or Jamaican dollars

I agree with having both. If the price is in $J pay with Jamaican, if it is in $US, pay with US. You seem to get just a little better exchange rate doing that. Most places will take both, but your money will go a little further doing as I said above.

Toronto
Level Contributor
785 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American or Jamaican dollars

Being from Canada I only ever take Jamaican Dollars. It is much easier to mentally get an idea of what things are worth than to try and convert to US and then convert to JA... I bring my credit card and pay for any resturants or trips with that. But when im on the road I use JA money!

5. Re: American or Jamaican dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 07:17