We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals- free upgrades

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals- free upgrades

I have read many post on all the different Sandals Resorts and see that quite a few people write they were upgraded upon arrival for free. I'm a SSG member and have never once been upgraded. I have booked trips through agents and through their direct website. Is this a random pick?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

Just a follow-up on comment #29, I didn't use the word "ploy", this would sound negative on my part--and this definitely was NOT my intent. Upgrades are a very good "marketing tool" for Sandals and I truly believe it is one of the things that encourages guests to be regulars, and it thanks them for their business. Sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't, it's the availability thing like mentioned several times already. Again, we are Sandals regulars and have been to many of the different resorts, we love WH and Negril the best--and we going back to the RB in January.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

A lot of people have it wrong here.

I've been to sandals in jamaica each of the last 4 years. The only time I didnt receive a 1-room level upgrade was the first time I booked sandals.

06 - Dunns - got the room we paid for

07 - whitehouse - upgraded 1 level to a 1 bedroom suite

08 - Dunns - we booked the 3'rd highest room category. they called me 2 weeks before asking us if we wanted to upgrade to the 1 bedtroom suite w/butler for $1000. I said no. When we arrived we were upgraded for free to the suite wo/butler

09 - Negril - upgraded 1 level

Your first visit to sandals you will not be upgraded. After you become a Signiture member you will/should be upgraded 1 level every time you visit a sandals. It doesn't matter what time of year. I went in high season everytime.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

Last year at Mo'Bay was our first Sandals visit and we got a 2 or 3 category bump to a "Grand Luxe Penthouse" I think it was. GREAT view but hated all of the damn steps.

This year with Whitehouse closed I assume there will be less upgrades to go around. I'm at the Inn this year and will be happy with what I paid for and elated if I get an upgrade.

Bud

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

"A lot of people have it wrong here...

I've been to sandals in jamaica each of the last 4 years. The only time I didnt receive a 1-room level upgrade was the first time I booked sandals.

Your first visit to sandals you will not be upgraded. After you become a Signiture member you will/should be upgraded 1 level every time you visit a sandals. It doesn't matter what time of year. I went in high season everytime."

I have been going and sending clients to Sandals resorts a lot longer than the last 4 years and I am sorry to say "dpw567", but you are the one who has it wrong here.

Whether it is in Jamaica or not, my most recent "first-time" client to a Sandals resort was upgraded from a Deluxe room to a Concierge suite at Sandals Grande Antigua (see trip reports under "Chakkare"...40th Birthday Celebration).

There are PLENTY of first time guests to Sandals that get upgraded and being a Sandals Select Member no longer guarantees you the 1 level upgrade. As I stated earlier, they took that off the membership benefits because folks like you were EXPECTING it just because they were returning guests.

Yes, management will try to upgrade guests when it is available to do so but there are many factors that come into that decision, as has already been stated numerous times.

southern NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

We were also upgraded on our first trip, it was to Beaches Turks and Caicos. We booked the Turquoise Deluxe (1st floor) and were upgraded 3 categories to the Honeymoon Grande Luxe (3rd floor).

36. Re: Sandals- free upgrades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 12:35