We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

Hi All,

This is our first trip to Jamaica, and to Montego Bay. We are staying at an all-inclusive and I am trying to find out whether I am allowed to tip, or is it really frowned upon.

Any comments appreciate, Thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

It really depends upon which AI you will be using. While some don't do anything to someone in their employ, there are some that will fire workers that do accept tips, and wil even use kgb like 'stings' to test their employees and fire them if they are caught taking tips. If it is one of the latter and you want to give a tip to someone who you feel deserves it, be very subtle....you might even want to make arrangements to meet the person off the resort grounds...so it depends upon the resort. Personally, I would feel too uncomforable to ever stay at a place that would tell me what I can and can't do with my own money on MY vacation, but that's just me.

If you do agree to meet someone off the resort, besides tipping, you might want to ask where Jamaicans go to eat and drink and have fun; it is not only not dangerous to 'wander' off the resort, it can be a great deal of fun..and if you want to eat where Jamaicans do, it won't be nearly as expensive as you would think.

And I am glad you are taking the time to be considerate enough to find out, bless you hon.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

You should let people know where you are staying as each resort is different. Couples and Sandals have very specific policies.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

As stated above if you say where you are staying you could get better answers. I tip regularlyat FDR Pebbles which is AI. No problems and the staff really appreciates it . On the other hand staff can get fired at some resors for taking a tip...

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

RDMB....yes please tip. Thanks for asking.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

Yes, and sorry, it is the Royal Decameron.

Thanks everyone :-)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

We take about 100 dollar bills for tipping at RDMB. We tip the maid daily with cash and also gifts. We tip the bartenders often, but not every drink. We tip the wait staff here and there. Water sports if they take us out on anything. TIps are not required at the resort, but we always tip!!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

I do a little different than Marylynn. I will give larger tips more often. Your room maid will be the same most of your trip. Special bartenders, restaurant staff (the omelet guy got rich) I will give 5 or 10 at a time. I then give $1s tothe others.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

It is all inclusive so gratiutes are included. It is up to you. Some chains like sandals,and superclubs have a stict no tips policy so even if you do tip, the staff will bring it to the front desk were it is shared equally among all staff at the end of the year. If they do not turn it in and someone reports it they are automically terminated.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I will not name our resort. But they have a huge amount of so-called trainees. They work for up to a month without getting paid a cent. And they , at times have to take a taxi to and from work. If they deserve it , be generous. We were. And we were not planning on it. But those who we thought served us well, were taken care of. I only wish I would have taken more cash.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive Resort Tipping?

Name them and sham them the iberostar