We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roaches- Something to be expected?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
405 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Roaches- Something to be expected?

I was just wondering if you expect to see roaches in your room when you travel to tropical destinations, or if they put you off?

What tropical resorts have you been to where you saw roaches? Which resorts have you been to where you did not see roaches?

1. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 14:27
babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

I usually see roaches in my ashtray.... ;-)

I'm not the least bit put off by them.... :-P

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

lol Dave...well that would then make the list of every single hotel/resort then.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

I have never seen any roaches at Club Ambiance, Royal Decameron RB, or Sunset at the Palms..Negril.

I saw quite a few when we travelled to Margarita Island in Venezuela..and YES it put me off....

Edited: 14 December 2009, 22:58
westend
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

We seem to have a similar infestation.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

It's the tropics where roaches are a common species and have lived there long before tourism. I've seen them in at least half of the places I've stayed and they don't bother me. They come with the territory. Now palmetto bugs (aka flying cockroach) which are about 8" long DO put me off. I stayed in one small resort which will remain nameless where I encountered this lovely creature twice.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

I've seen them at SamSara (I haven't stayed there in 7 years though). I just saw my first one in my house the other night (I've been here almost 3 weeks) which tells me I need to be just a bit more tidy....but truthfully, they are here, they are bigger than the ones you generally see in the states and they don't eat much (lol). Plenty other bugs here as well and since the roaches don't bite I don't let them bother me much.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

Had one crawl up my glass of scotch. I watch it peak over the top, get hit by the fumes, and fall dead into the glass. Had to get a new glass.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

Traveled quite a bit and encountered ants but NEVER roaches an I hope I never do...!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roaches- Something to be expected?

Seen one of the nasty small ones walking down the bar top at CSA last visit. Other then that never had any in the rooms that I recall but have seen the larger palmetto ones outside at times along walkways ect..