We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones and text messaging

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
275 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cell phones and text messaging

usually dont like taking phone on holiday but need to check on family member while away--hav e telus and rogers phones --which one works best-staying at sunsetbeach montego bay

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phones and text messaging

none...the roaming charges will kill you. By some internet time or borrow a staff's phone and give them a couple of dollars.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phones and text messaging

Be careful whose phone you leave your families or your own home numbers on......or delete numbers called after use....

It has been known for the numbers to be called asking for money or gifts..or even passed on to be used in scam calls...

xxx

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phones and text messaging

good point Fruity.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phones and text messaging

I have a rogers phone which will work. I bought a used unlocked phone in Canada before I left many years ago and picked up a sim card while in Jamaica which i keep topped up and use while there. if people need me they just call my Canadian line and hang up and I call back. It works well and I have used eztopup to top it up for the past 3 years without an issue

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phones and text messaging

if you're just making the odd, short call, use either (check rates and ensure that international roaming is activated prior to leaving)... the charges are high, but it's convienent and the other options won't save you that much...

if you want to chat for hours daily, you can do so fairly cheaply, but it takes a bit more planning/effort... do a search for digicel for details, but it involves, as mentioned below, buying a digicel phone or having an unlocked phone, puchasing a SIM and an "international calling plan"... total cost will be somewhere in the range of 20-50ish US (depending on if you have an unlocked phone or not)....

hope that helps some

Chelle

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phones and text messaging

My gf looked into adding international pacakge to her at&t phone but you had to pay a fee that month and even then you were still paying over a dollar a minute.

Get a digicel phone, you can get a throw away phone, sim card nad 1000 min to call back to the states for around $30. When you leave you can keep the phone nad use it in future vacationa to JA or many parts of the caribean or you can give it to your driver or fav hotel staff.

My gf and I took our trip a while ago so I dont remember exactly what it worked out to but I think had we talked 10 or 15 minutes on her at&t phone it would have been more than this digicel throw away.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phones and text messaging

I have had no luck in the past year getting those cheap phones...they seem to be sold out alot. I know the digicel stores on the island were packed over the holidays with fareign money coming in....buying up phones.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phones and text messaging

From the uk..not sure about other Countries.....

If your phone is unlocked or can be unlocked..ours have to be tri/quadband..USA and Canada may get away with tri-band?

Then take it with you.. any Jamaican sim will go into it..

just top up and go..

The international plan is meant to be great...

xxx

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phones and text messaging

From a fellow canadian I used my bell calling card (which would be way less then cell) it cost me 35$ a minute when I got my bill!!!!!! Buy a prepaid calling card there.

Vancouver
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phones and text messaging

Check Roam Mobility out: Incoming calls in Jamaica cost $0.60 USD per minute. Making calls from Jamaica back to Canada cost $1.00 USD per minute. Rogers and Telus charge $3.00 and $5.00 respectively. We also offer free incoming SMS anywhere in the world. Our service is pay-as-you-go: there are no contracts or minimums. And when you need to purchase extra calling credit, just send a text message - no Internet access required.

http://www.roammobility.com/