We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Cambridge, Ontario...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Hi, I'm going to a resort in Lucea and I have learned it is a good distance from Negril or Montego Bay. Has anybody had experience with renting a car? Might this be a good idea?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Nope.

Don't do it.

Hire a driver.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

First of all I do not recommend renting a car in JA. Drivers are very aggressive and the roads are narrow. It can be a little hair raising riding with someone that is from the island. There are many very good and relatively inexpensive drivers.

Since you said Lucea, I am guessing Grand Palladium. Contact Gregg Connell of Reggae-tours

connellgregg@yahoo.com

www.reggae-tours.com

876-570-2983 JA local tele.

His will customize a trip for you or your group.

Happy Travels and Enjoy the great Island of Jamaica.

Matt

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

do a search on rental cars.

no I don't recommend it ...ever.

Cambridge, Ontario...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

Thanks for the recommendation

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

I was in as head on collision in 1986 in Jamaica. Was with another honeymoon couple in a rented car. Kind of fuzzy on the details, but the driver in our car panicked when something unforeseen happened on the road and he reverted to driving on the wrong side-"US" side of the road.

Luckily we were not hurt, spent time in a police station, had been drinking, had other stuff...It could have been a really bad situation. The driver in the other car was ok as well, but both cars had alot of damage.

I really cant see ever taking the risk or enduring the hassle again. I'll sit back and take in the scenery.

United States
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

NEVER rent a car in Jamaica under any condition. To get to your hotel from the airport take a van or bus. Many people offer this service.

To see the sights I would hire a car with a Jamaican driver. Your hotel will know several qualified drivers.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

While I enjoy renting a car in Jamaica, just to get to Lucea from the airport doesn't justify the cost, IMO.

And if you've never been before, I suspect you'll find driving kind of scary, at minimum a hassle to get used to for such a short trip.

8. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 07:16