We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

NS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

We have booked for April, and have been reading the many reviews, with so many negative comments....we are starting to get nervous. Our original plans were for Playa del Carmen in Mexico, but changed when we saw a great deal for this resort. We love going to the beach rather than the pool...can anyone out there reassure us with positve comments regarding this resort. Getting nervous in the Canada cold, and hoping that the bad reviews are just picky people.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

I would say the resort it self is very nice and the quality of food, rooms and service is great. If you are in deed a beach person you will find that the beaches are a little small but nice. I would recommend the sunset cove area or the adult beach.

Matt

NS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

Thanks for the reassurance.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

When are you leaving? We too are going for our first time, but are very excited. The bad reviews or unhappy reviews - there are some people you will never please - the ones with constructive comments are the reviews I like when they list certain items (not the facecloth issue tho), but still telling the reader that they still had a great time. We come to our own conclusions when we are down there.

NS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

We are leaving on April 11 - We (2 couples) are quite excited to go...and try to read past comments that are really not important to us. Really our main concern is good food and a great atmosphere with a nice beach - the rest takes care of itself.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

We arrive April 17 - 4 couples - for 2 glorious weeks - can't wait. Couldn't agree more, good food, etc. makes it for us as well. We haven't been back to Jamaica for 14 years (previously Cuba, Mexico, DR, SA, etc.) we are all very excited to go back.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
356 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

Dont worryGrand Palladium is fine. I have been there before and will be returning in May I have been to 16 resorts in 6 different islands. I read all the reviews and think most people are nuts. I think the trip is what you make of it. Sure there is problems just like at home. You dont nag and complain about your on home because of little problems. People go to resorts expecting people to stand by there side and give them everything they wish. Facts are, you are in a country thats a litlle behind the times etc etc. ( I wont to be nice) You dont go there for the wash cloths do you? If you treat people with kind and patience you will get alot in return Anyways have fun and at least you arent shoveling snow and driving to work and putting up with your boss.

NS
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

Thanks guys for the reassurance - we aren't picky people at all, we just want to unwind and relax - and don't have any unreal expectations.

Have a great time, too...and by the way it's been snowing, on and off now for 2 days - so we can't wait to get out of here.

Cheers

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

My husband and I - along with my sister and her husband - just got back yesterday from the Grand Palladium Jamaica after a weeks stay.

We won't be going back ..... to this hotel or Jamaica.

The hotel is beautiful - but HUGE !! Be prepared to walk your butt off. Some of the staff were AMAZING - some not so much. Rooms were nice - but if your a non-smoker - the stale smell of cigarettes can prove to be a bit much when your in your room - as well as the dampness - AND YES we kept our card in the slot to keep the room cool - which it was - but the dampness from the humidity never went away. Towels were always an issue - but we made due as we always had 1 for each of us ..... Bar fridge was never cold but was ALWAYS well stocked. The bed is a bit uncomfortable and the pillows are horrid - like sleeping on a rock. They do have a "Pillow Menu" where you can choose better pillows - but at $3 US per night - just didn't seem right - so I suffered. Woke up with a splitting headache every morning - and it wasn't because of the rum punch the night before - I don't drink.

The main pool was amazing .... even though the hotel was fully booked - well actually it was OVERBOOKED - the pool never felt crowded. The food was actually quite good - but American Night and Mexican Night were awful !! The A La Carts were a pain in the a** and the 2 we were able to get into just weren't worth it. The breakfasts were the best meal of the day in my opinion.

Ok - now we might be a bit biased as we have travelled to Barbados every year for the past 4 years and we will be heading off to go there again this November for our 5th year - but the beaches at this hotel just plain suck. Now if you have ever been to Barbados you will know what I mean. We were so damn disappointed in the beaches ...... even the water wasn't the same as Barbados. My husband is an avid snorkeler - and it was OK here for snorkeling - but not like Barbados.

There were a few issues with rude guests - who were NOT from Canada .... but we didn't let this spoil our holidays - there was other things to spoil it. And it all ended with us being told at the airport that we were overweight by 4kilos..... HUH ???? We were WAY under when we left Toronto - and I even left the big bottles of shampoo and used up bottles of sunscreen there at the hotel AND I only bought 2 things each for my 3 daughters and these 6 tiny things couldn't have weighed more than 1/2 a pound. I was PISSED beyond belief. We refused to pay the $80CDN ($20CDN per kilo) and ended up taking the smallest of the 3 bags on as a carry on. This was actually happening to quite a few others from our hotels bus .... always seemed to be 4 kilos ....... I talked to another couple and they said they weighed in at 32 kilos in Toronto and they were 37 kilos in Jamaica ..... and they didn't buy anything ........ they said its a scam that goes on in Jamaica, DR and Mexico. I was so pissed that the ticket agent placed my husband and I in the 2nd last row of the plane (the last row was for the flight attendants and needed to be kept open in case someone got ill on the flight - so basically we were in the last row ) and not even together. Nice flight - having a**es stuck in our faces and smelling not so pleasant scents now and again - all because I spoke up at the ticket counter. I thought the woman checking us in wasn't even listening to me, as her and the guy next to her were flirting so much with each other ....... but I did make sure that she put the YYZ tags on our 2 bags.

I would also like to note that my husband and I travel 3 times a year for pleasure. We have done all-inclusives as well as booked a house/apartment/condo and rented a car and made our own meals ..... and this by far was the worst. We have done Barbados, St Kitts, DR, Cuba, Mexico, Bahamas, Florida, New York and Western and Eastern Canada - and we will never go back to Jamaica ..... now Barbados on the other hand ...... we plan to retire there that's how much we love the island, the people, the food and especially the beaches.

Jo

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

Wait...so you hated Jamaica why, hilowe?

Because the beaches at the Palladium sucked? Because you didn't know the Palladium would be huge?

5 seconds worth of research beforehand would have told you that. The beaches are garbage. They were man-made with stolen sand and the sand has since mostly washed away.

If you liked Barbados better, good for you (I have been there too), but I don't see any problems with Jamaica in that rant.

I see problems with the chosen resort's beaches, the resort itself, guests at the resort, the airport, the flight, etc.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Palladium Jamaica ???

I still don't get it. I have read it three times and I don't see one complaint about Jamaica.

I see a poorly researched resort choice.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 17:48