We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunn River Falls

US
3 posts
Save Topic
Dunn River Falls

I will be staying in Montego Bay when I go to jamaica, but I would like to go to Dunn River Falls. The catch is that I do not want to do it as part of a tour (never have enough time to see everything), and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a taxi to travel the 50 miles each way from my hotel to the Falls. Does anyone know of a cheaper way for 3 people to get transportation?

thanks

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
505 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunn River Falls

Dunn's river fall is not close. it will cost a lot more to travel there on your own. It is pretty far.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunn River Falls

I know if you go with Reggae-tours it is about 199 for 3 people. That includes the cost of the falls stopping at Scotchies for some jerk. Food is at your cost though. It is about a 5 hour day.

Matt

Edited: 03 March 2010, 00:10
Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunn River Falls

went there in January because we stayed in Ocho Rios. Glad we went but would not go back a second time. Thought there would be more to it than there was. The pressure to buy from the locals was very bad too. If I took my kids to Jamaica I would not take them to see it.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunn River Falls

There really isn't much of cheaper way to go from Montego Bay. It is a little over an hour away. I would look into Reggae Tours for a private transfer if you do decide to go. www.reggae-tours.com

They were very helpful, professional, and most important on-time!

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunn River Falls

Hundreds of dollars?

Who in the world quoted you hundreds of dollars?

The going rate for a full day charter for a taxi to take you pretty much anywhere is about $150. Dunn's River is only 75 minutes or so away. For $150 you could head to Dunn's, take your time, and still have 4+ hours of traveling around before even leaving to head back to Mobay.

This method would not include admission prices, food, etc., but the point remains the same.

Plus, I am sure your hotel, depending on where you are staying, will offer some stupid huge tour bus trip to Dunn's for $50 pp or so. If you are alone, that would save you plenty of money.

US
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunn River Falls

When you mean a full day's worth of transportation for $150, do you mean using a taxi?

thanks for all the replies by the way.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunn River Falls

I just returned from Jamaica yesterday. I took my wife and 10 year old son to Dunns River Falls. When we were leaving Jamaica, I asked him what the best part of the vacation was, and without a moment's hesitation, he replied Dunns River...

Don't miss it.

Don't do it with a tour.

I hired a private cab and paid $50 for the entire round trip for the three of us from Breezes Trelawny. This was not one of my 'usual' drivers either. Depending on which resort you're staying at, that's only 15-25 minutes closer each way. We took 50 minutes to get there and the same to return, We took our time and enjoyed the Falls, did not get hasseled by a single vendor and did the entire trip in just over three hours. If you're staying at the iberostar for example, you can expect it to take about 40 minutes more.

We went later in the day, on a day when there were no cruise ships in the port and it wasn't crowded at all.

The entrance fee is $15 per person.

Blessings and respect.

Steve

US
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunn River Falls

Thanks so much! I think we can manage $50 give or take an extra $25 since we will be staying in a more distant hotel.

9. Re: Dunn River Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:19