We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotchie's

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
271 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Scotchie's

I have been hearing great things about Scotchie's. Are there any other restaurants that serve good authentic Jamaican food? We will be staying at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. How far is Scotchie's from the resort? Which location is better Montego Bay or Ocho Rios? Any recommendations on a good taxi service?

Thanks,

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotchie's

We ate at Scotchies..it was ok for what it was...I wish I could recommend a nice local place but the best local food we had was along the road made by the cook ladies ...

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotchie's

If you are staying at the GP, you may be better going to Negril for jerk. Its closer and you could spend the day at Negril. We loved Best in the West.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotchie's

Ocho Rios is better..... Pork Pit in Mo Bay is better than Scotchies IMHO :)

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotchie's

My recomendation for a good driver is Gregg Connell of Reggae Tours. He and his team do a great job. They do a lot of tours from GPLH.

http://reggae-tours.com

connellgregg@yahoo.com

876-570-2983 local JA Tele

Matt

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotchie's

Palladium to Ochi? no way to far.

Old Scooter...there is jerk right in Lucea. Lucea was a sleepy fishing village before the Palladium. Once you get there you'll see what I'm saying. Go into Lucea to get some real yard food. It's perfectly safe for you to do so.

Try some curried goat...tastes so much better than it sounds lol.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotchie's

Lucea is a cool looking town. Always lots of hustle and bustle going on.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotchie's

Unless you are coming back into Montego Bay, it would be a little far just to get Jerk. There will be somewhere in Lucea to get it.

If you are getting a private transfer from the airport, maybe you could have them take you to Scotchies or the Pork Pit in Mobay either when you arrive or are leaving. Scotchies is in the opposite direction from where you are going, you will pass the Pork Pit on your way.

You won't have any problems finding good food.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotchie's

A lot of the chefs at GP wil be Jamaican and the buffet usually will have a small selection of Jamaican dishes, I think one night per week is carribean or Jamaican night where there is a big selection of local food on offer. It will definetely taste better at a local restaurant in Lucea though. Curry goat is good , but it has a lot of broken bones, stew chicken or stew pork with rice and peas is good, ackee and salt fish is a must, usually a breakfast meal, roast breadfruit with salt fish also OK, they also do fry fish and steam fish very well, and take bammy and/or festival as a side, there is a big selection of local food to feast on, enjoy !

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
271 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotchie's

Thanks to all,

I love curry goat. My husband's favorite is Ox tail with rice and peas. Thinking about going to get some Jamaican food today. We have a local restaurant that is very good (Taste of the Island, in Vineland NJ). Can't wait until July to find out what kind of food we can find in Lucea.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 16:41
roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotchie's

In MoBay the POrk Pit has great jerk...the Native has fancy and good Jamaican food...the Boat House and Margerites for great sea food (go at sunset..what a view!!)

PEACE!