We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia, USA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Montego Bay in a couple of weeks. We're planning to stay 6 nights. Our goal is to visit all the Marg'ville's in Jamaica as we are parrotheads...:) We also want to climb Dunns River Falls (Ocho Rios), visit Rick's Cafe (Negril) and do some local shopping in those areas as well as MB area. If time permits, we'd like to swim with the dolphins or ride ATV's or whatever, really (options open).

What's the best way to get around to these locations if we're staying in MB?

I've gotten information on Clives Transportation and Bailey transportation but they seem rather expensive ($120 RT from MB to Ocho Rios?). But I guess they watch 'your stuff' while you're off partaking? And they stay with you all day/night?

Any advice anyone?

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

Hi dodgerxl,

Doing day trips is the best way to see Jamaica. The problem is your limited time! Depending on where you are located in Mobay, the normal trip time to Negril is about 1 1/4 - 1/1/2 hour, to Ocho Rios, you are looking at about 1 1/2 - 2 hour trip, the times are for one way! You can hire Clive or Baily's tour service, both are very good.. You can also, hire a "JUTA" taxi (red license plate) and do your own thing!

When I do a day trip, I just hire a Taxi. I ask other guest if they want to go on a day trip and share the cost. We stop and go as we please plus you have your own personal guide. When I go to Negril, I just call my friend Zipp (JUTA), find others and off we go! Zipp take us to the Tree House in Negril, where we can have use of the showers and restaurant, beach chairs etc. You can leave stuff in the van and he will lock and watch it!

You were quoted a price of $120us for the DAY! Not a bad price at all!

My friend Zipp info: Zipp Taxi & Tour Service (loc. RDMB)

C & W: 876-772-1443

DigiCel: 876-440-6038

If you decide to use Zipp, tell him I said hi!

Take it nice and easy,

Gil

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

Exactly what Gil said.

Drive time between MO Bay and Negril each way can take a while depending on traffic, stops etc.

Personally, I would plan on doing THREE separate trips to Jamaica in 3 years!!! Each to different parts. 6 nights is not enough time to do all that you are planning. When are you going to have "chill" time? You are going to be in taxi's 1/2 of your time. Not a way to spend a vacation.

My plan gives you a reason to go back!!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

please pull up a map of Jamaica. In 6 nights your itinerary would be a vacation in a car in Jamaica which is not fun. They drive like maniacs. I don't even like being in a car at all there lol. Best to rethink this plan imo.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

I like the 3 trips in a year idea. I only get one now. So my new plan is to over schedule the first trip and then have a talk with the wife (AKA the boss) and explain how it is going to happen. Wish me luck. LOL

Matt

Edited: 12 April 2010, 19:54
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

6 days is plenty of time to see what you want to see as long as you realize that the drives are going to be 1.5-2 hours a piece... Spend a day in ocho rios, take in dunns river and Dolphin swim and of course the margaritaville :) then a day in negril for ricks cafe and another m'ville, then a day about mobay (they have adventure tours in lethe, I *think* atv-ing there...

Leaves you with at least a day or two to relax :) sounds like a vacation i'd enjoy... I find staying in one place too long boring :)

the roads you will be on are good ones and yes jamaicans do drive a little crazy, but speed traps are the norm these days it seems...

Enjoy :)

chelle

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

To be honest, if you go to one Margaritaville, you've pretty much been to all of them. If the sole purpose of your trip is to visit the different ones, it could be achieved. I don't think it would be too much to go to Ocho Rios one day and a few days later go to Negril. I'd combine the Margaritaville trips with other excursions or sightseeing in the area to make the trip worthwhile though. Don't drive all that way just to go to Margaritaville.

Fowler, IN
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

when are you going? we are staying at the riu from the 22-29th, we were thinking of all the same tours and stuff, but the car rides...ummmm, maybe....we may have to plan a few day trips, but all the free alcohol may keep us in the resort...lol. I think the zip lines look really cool, and i gotta go to the pelican bar....how wild, there are no bars like that in indiana!!!!!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

DNagel, just be ready for a good ride to get to the Pelican bar. Not sure exactly, but probably a good two to three hour ride one way from Montego bay.

Its on my list to do next trip.

Marion, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

DNagel & dodgerxl

My wife & I just got back from 6 days @ Riu MB. When you arrive @ Riu you will find 5 or 6 different tour companies setup in the main lobby area. We found the best rate @ the tour desk / taxi stand in the front. Negril was $35/ person. included (nice) bus ride 21/2 hrs @ Marg'ville then 2X 30 min shopping stops at nice shopping centers, then on to Rick's for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs for sunset. Back @ Riu about 8:30 PM. all in all a nice day. Clive’s was going to be $75 US for up to 4 people and was basically the same trip just more personalized. That would have been worth it if we had another couple to go with.

dodgerxl

I think your plan will be OK. Just be ready to make a full day of it for Ocho Rios & Negril.

Mobay is no sweat the Riu had shuttles that ran every night to Marg'ville at 9:30 PM, 10 & 11 PM and return rides at 1 & 2 AM. If you want to go down earlier and catch a ride back with any of the shuttles I’m sure you could work that out. Taxi from Riu to Hip Strip is about $20US. Don’t forget to take in some of the entertainment at the Riu and visit the Jerk Shack on the beach for lunch it’s awesome! The pool bar is a great place to hang-out and chill just before & after lunch too. Owen will take care of you, put a smile on your face, and make a great drink too.

10. Re: How best to get around from MB to Negril to Ocho Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:18