We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Island NY
Level Contributor
238 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

Has anyone ever had the guts to move someones stuff off a chair or bali bed.....??

I have been to may resorts now and have never had the guts.

I wish I had the guts though because as most of us have witnessed people reserve chairs all day long at the beach and pool and don't use them

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

Its not that we have never had the guts.....never had the need to.

Yes I would if we needed a chair and only a towel was there and had been there for hours. If it was set up with towels, books, beach bag etc. then no....

We are a group of 6 traveling together each year. Whoever gets to the beach first grabs 6 chairs. Sometimes we are asked if the empty ones are being used...I feel bad if I say yes....but they really ARE!! If one of the couples is off on a trip then of course we do not hold chairs....Often we have shared chairs if the beach is really busy.

Edited: 17 April 2010, 20:39
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

I would never move someone's personal belongings. I think it's rude. However, if I know for sure that a lounger with only towels on it has been unoccupied for over 90 mins or so...open game.

We travel with a party of 4 or 6 and always get up early to put towels, books and hats on selected loungers so that we can sit together. We use the chairs all day, with the exception of going to breakfast or lunch or for a walk on the beach, so would be very ticked if someone moved our belongings.

What I don't like are those who reserve chairs at both the beach and the pool, and then end up staying only at one place. That's just plain rude. However, you really don't know that those chairs are unoccupied until a few hours have gone by.

The rule I follow is this. If you want a prime seat, whether it be in the sun or shade, or because you have a group who wants to sit together, get up early enough to get those seats. Put your towels, sunscreen, books and hats on the chairs and don't be gone longer than it takes to eat a meal. But please, don't show up mid morning or afternoon and feel it is ok to move someone's hat and book because you feel they have been gone too long. Unless you've been standing there policing the activity, and know for sure that the chairs have been unoccupied for longer than it takes to eat a meal, you are being incredibly rude to move those belongings.

Just my two cents! ;)

newjersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

I'm an early riser and always put my towel, books etc on 2 chairs in the shade. We use those chairs all day-except to eat. If I don't get a shady spot I can't go on the beach-sun allergy-if someone took my spot I would be furious-since they're only unoccupied for a short time. This only happened to me once in many many years of travel-and I very politely told the couple to vacate-which they did.I feel anything unoccupied for over 90 minutes-towel only- is fair game

usa
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

yes i have moved towels. i think it's rude to hold/save chairs. when you find your spot / chair. you should use right away.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

You can always ask a Staff member who works the beach area to move them for you...they are happy to oblige....since they see all and know who is reserving chairs for hours on end and not using them....

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

I agree with you 100 percent. I too have a sun allergy and must sit in the shade either at the pool or on the beach. We get up early and get our spots and other than going for meals or a stroll around the site it s where we stay most of the day. If someone touched my stuff I'd be livid and would have to say something . Sometimes service is slow at the restaurants and you want to stop back at the room to freshen up. It might take more than 90 minutes. People need to be respectful of each other.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

This has always been a problem in Europe and we act accordingly........

Some hotels will not allow early morning *reserving* (and then some people didn't come out till after noon to sunbathe) and one place I stayed at in Nerja,Spain had a huge sign up warning people if they did this ,their towels woul be thrown in the pool......and they were..

xxx

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

I wouldn't move someone's belongings either...if I wanted that spot I should've gotten to the beach sooner!

There is a reason why we get to the beach before everyone else..to scoop up the best spots. And it's really sill to expect someone to sit in that chair the whole day without moving. They will have to use the restroom or maybe they are eating or maybe they are..God forbid...enjoying the beautiful water!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

To the people with PMLE..

Do your Countries hospitals/doctors offer light therapy? We can get it here as an outpatient...

Or Hydroxychloroquine?,,,,altho it can have side effects.......

xxx

Barrie
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Chair Game...anyone ever had the guts to move the towels

Reserving chairs and not using them for more than 90 minutes is RUDE. We are all on Vacation and no-one should have to set their alarm to put a towel on a chair.

I have removed towels after a few hours of waiting around and watching emply loungers with towels. I agree that I would never remove personal Items.

I love the idea of asking Staff to free up unused seating. I will try that next time.