We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violence in Kingston

Phila.
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Violence in Kingston

Hi!We just saw the violence on the news in Kingston which must be pretty bad because it made the news in the US.Does anyone know about this?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Violence in Kingston

Yes, we're going to re-thnk our plans! {::}

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Violence in Kingston

there are at least a dozen other threads on this topic...please go to the root, jamaica board (one level up from this, if you click jamaica beside where you see montego bay at the top of the thread)

as for cancelling your plans, you're perfectly in your rights to do so, but the situation is presently very isolated to areas of kingston that very very rarely see visitors who don't belong there anyways... if you are flying into kingston airport, do monitor the situation closely... otherwise, it is presently business as usual in the other tourist areas...

keeping abreast of the situation is advisable and while on the island, avoiding political gatherings, demonstration, rallys and the like is always a good idea...

hope that helps

Chelle

Edited: 24 May 2010, 04:45
Phila.
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Violence in Kingston

Thank you so much!We are traveling with young children in three weeks to Montego Bay and seeing this made me very nervous!

Vermont
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Violence in Kingston

Keep yourself updated on the situation, Ace. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about in Montego Bay. As usual when travelling in Jamaica, be street smart and aware of your surroundings at all times if you go off the resort. On resort you'll be fine. ;)

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Violence in Kingston

We are going to Negril in 14 days, and I have to admit I'm a little worried. I'm not going to cancel our trip, though. From everything I've heard, Negril is safe. But yes, we're going to be extra cautious. I feel for the folks who have to live there and who aren't involved in this mess. How terrible to be stuck in the middle.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Violence in Kingston

Well I am going to call my travel company I booked with today to see what their cancel policy is with something like this. I am in NO WAY going to cancel unless they say it is reaching MoBay and Negril areas. Only bad thing is my family and friends are going to freak that we are still going and give us lots of grief!! My hubby has already stated we are staying ON the resort! "UGH are you kidding me!! He doesnt even want to take the Zip Lineing trip we planned!! I am hoping things change before we go! My heart goes out to these poor people of Jamaica so sad for them to have to live with all this violance!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Violence in Kingston

The situation can easily change from day to day. If you are not traveleing in the next few days, I'd hang tight and see what happens. For those traveleing within a few day or so, I guess it's a personal decision. You need to do what it comfortable for you., whether that means going or not.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Violence in Kingston

Here is a link to the US State Dept for updates. Not sure what to do about my trip in July. Will have to see what happens

…state.gov/travel/…pa_jamaica.html

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Violence in Kingston

Acemommi, I can understand your concern. I am an old dad, retired police officer with 4 kids 13 and under. I have taken them to Jamaica 4x with the fifth being next year. Not once have we had even a penny stolen, not once a negative experience and yet all we hear from people who have not been there or just jumped off a cruise ship for a short trip is negative reaction to our returning.

As in this country, don't look for drugs, treat people as you want to be treated, smile, joke, bargain for deals, don't wander off alone and you and your kids will get addicted to the good people of Jamaica, we did.

I laugh, as we travel to Chicago, murders gone wild, Los Angeles, gangs gone wild etc. etc. as a retired officer, the danger people fear is usually within a family, within site of their house, or as in fatal accidents within a mile or two of their house. Use the same common sense you use at home. Just have a good experiened driver. Ours is an excellent driver, tour guide, body guard, personable and knowledgeable. If your at a resort they usually all are. We stay in the Ochi area. Enjoy your family time together. Funny, I worry more about my home be burglarized while were gone then trouble in Jamaica.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Violence in Kingston

My husband and I are supposed to be traveling to Secrets in Montego Bay this Sunday - yikes! We're thinking that maybe we should cancel for fear that they will look at us because we're from the U.S. because we're "involved" even if not in the Kingston area. We will not be leaving the resort but thoughts of the airport and traveling to and from are a little worrisome . . .calling the travel agent.