We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

westhoughtonh...
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Topic
Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

Anyone heard about the unrest in Kingston in Jamaica and warning travelers to be careful.....A little un-nerving ???

Vermont
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

A little unnerving, but I wouldn't be too concerned about going to Negril, Ocho Rios and other tourist destinations. It's a gang war in Kingston that's been coming for a long time. Still, if I was going to Jamaica this week I'd stay ON resort the whole time. Why tempt fate?

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

If you are going for vacation I would suggest not going to Kingston just because it is a typical big city with all the associated problems. I just returned from Mo Bay and felt very safe while there.

westhoughtonh...
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

Thankyou We are off to Montego Bay In September Hopefully it will be over with by then ?????

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

If you are worried you always have the option to stay on your resort. Nothing is going to happen on the resort. We leave the resort daily, so I am hoping things quite down before we go as I dont want to be stuck on the resort!

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

I am in Montego Bay and it is 4 hours from Kingston. People leave their resort every night and are fine. There was 400 people (mostly tourists) at Margaritaville last night until 4:00 in the morning having fun.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

The violence is in Kingston only. Not in Mo Bay, Runaway Bay, Negril, Ocho Rios.

Strictly in Kingston, as they are trying to get at Dudus to extradite him, and the locals are protecting him by shooting at the poilce who are trying to come in to capture him.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

>>and the locals are protecting

That would be the local gang members & want a be members & local losers. The honest good Jamaican people want no part of this low life they are trying to protect & most will be glad to see him go

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

Actually the poor locals are protecting him if you watch the TV reports. And if you read the news how Dudus is considered to be like Robin Hood. As he gets some of his crew to hand out free food to the locals, pays for kids to go to school, etc.

I've seen old ladies with signs and on interviews saying they'll die for Dudus, cause who will help them out now if he gets extradited? The thousands of people he's helped will now be left without help.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
88 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

cnn.com/2010/…index.html

Coke and his gang hand out sandwiches in the streets, send children to school, build medical and community centers -- "all the things to ingratiate himself that Pablo Escobar used to do in Colombia," said Larry Birns, director of the Council on Hemispheric Affairs, a think tank specializing in U.S. policies in Latin America.

"They don't know, if he's extradited, who will be there for them. There are mothers wondering, 'Who's going to buy my child lunch?' or 'If I get sick, who's going to pay my hospital bills?' " Rowe explained.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Unrest and fighting in Jamaica

Reminds me of John Gotti

Same story, only the names change

Trust me, while they all have their local clueless followers the majority are not so easily fooled by their antics.

These names are more feared then worshipped.

Edited: 25 May 2010, 19:24