We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Hiya,

I am orientating on going to Jamaicia for the first time.

Have been Cuba, Mexico and the Dom. republic as a single female traveler but always have booked deals including transport.

For Jamaica I cant book such deals zo that would mean l would need to jump into a taxi all alone.

I know there are official taxi's at the airport or i might be able to book through the hotel but my question is.

If you was mid 30's female and traveling alone... would you do that?

Thanks,

Amy

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

YES! Jamaica is just as safe if not safer the the DR!

Have been to both the DR and Jamaica 5 X each....You will be fine....

Just be careful NOT to fall pray to the silver tongues of the Jamaican men. They all fancy themselves to be close to semi-gods...LOL...most are very harmless......as long as you do NOT give in!!

There are many on here who will recommend their own favorites for transport. Mine is Devon Hyman 876-776-1087.... another board favorite is Paul Williams. Someone will be along in a few to post his info.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 12:09
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

i've done it many times..

its always nicer (but more costy) to have pre-arranged transport... but if you dont, remember to stick to red plate cars and try to minimize late night solo travel if you can (maybe if the inkling for nightlife hits, you can find other likeminded visitors to team up with... IMO always a good idea for solo females, and not just in jamaica :) )

and do heed the warnings about jamaican men... they aggressively persue single females... it's a good idea to always have a husband or boyfriend in the bathroom/back at the room/at the bar/at the restaurant ect for when you are not intersted :)

Enjoy :)

Chelle

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Amy,

My favorite driver is Zipp ~ his number is 876-772-1443. He is based in Montego Bay. He is a good friend and a gentleman ~ he will take good care of you. Tell him that Kathy referred you to him. If he's not available, he will put you in touch with someone else you can trust.

Please heed the other warnings above, and only get in a car with the red license plates.

Have a great trip!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

I too have traveled as a single traveler for all my trips. Would I go out at night alone? NO

Day time no problem.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 14:07
Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Please pay special attention to the "red license plates" these are the only vehicles you should ever get into. I say so because "many" average unofficial cars will stop & "play" taxi. Not checking for & getting into a car without such is putting yourself into a strangers car.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Have done it many times - There is a JUTA service when you arrive at the airport - it's a bus that will stop at various hotels, costs around $18 each way - Or there are plenty of drivers available, and many that you can make arrangements with in advance.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

For all my trips to Montego Bay, I only use Robert Clark who works for JUTA.

1-876-573-1412.

Robert does day trips, local trips to Hip Strip or anywhere you want to go. Robert has a very clean van and he's really a nice guy.

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

You could also check out Gregg Connell of Reggae Tours. His company is very reputable. A lot of us on here have our favorite driver. The ones listed by others are highly recommended as well so pick your favorite and enjoy Jamaica.

www.reggae-tours.com

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147311-d1…

My wife is very comfortable traveling with Gregg or his staff even if I am not along.

Matt

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

Amy, you've received some excellent responses and advice here. I travel to Jamaica alone, in fact I'm going next month. Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings just like you would anyplace else.

Enjoy Jamaica!

10. Re: Would you take a taxi alone as a single female traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 06:16