We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

We want to go to Mayfield Falls, but Reggae Tours says the roads there are too unsafe to go. Does anyone know a company that still goes there? Or would you recommend YS Falls?

It's just Mayfield looks less "canned", less touristy.

thank you!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

What did they mean by "too unsafe"? The condition of the road itself or incidents happening along the road?

I'd contact a few of the other recommended drivers listed here and see what they have to say.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

This is what they said

"For the moment we are not doing the Mayfield Falls tour. The falls is set deep into the mountains and the roads leading to the falls has deteriorated over the years and this has made driving difficult to get there."

They suggested YS instead. I am checking with a few other of the companies mentioned in the forum.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

That I believe. We were there two years ago and the roads were horrible. Because of the road condition, you might get the same response from other drivers. It would be worth a few inquiries though.

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

I'm not familiar with Reggae tours but I woud imagine its more larger group tours on a bigger bus.

The road to Mayfield is crazy, we had a private driver who was driving a Toyota Corolla and on parts of the mountain road we were driving 2 m.p.h. while he was weaving around potholes and debris.

A large tour bus would never be able to manuever the narrow roads in bad condition. If Reggae tours uses larger busses or vans that could be part of the reason.

I would recommend hiring a private driver, we really liked Dennis who works over at sun beach. Always out on the beach in a tropical hawaiin print shirt.

I have only been to Mayfield but I would agree with it being less touristy than the others. We went last june and dind't run into another tourist our entire day there. We were the only people there. Also, there's no railings or things that a more touristy place might have.

For your guide I would recommend asking for Comfy. I'm probably spelling it wrong but comfy as in comfortable. He was very nice, carried a waterproof bag with our stuff, took some great pictures of us along the way and showed me places where you could jump off rocks into pools in the water and spots where you couid jump into rock holes that would spit you out downstream, etc. He was also climing trees getting us fruit for snacks.

Also, the plus of having a private driver is along wtih way you can stop and take pictures, look at things, etc. Also, you dont have to keep with a schedule as you would with a group, stay as long as you want in different areas.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

Reggae Tours has a luxury vehicle, as well as small and large vans. They may not have a suitable car for those roads, but they certainly do a ton of private tours, with most of their tours either private or small groups.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

Clive's also has cancelled the Mayfield Falls tour - he says the roads are deplorable. So I guess it's YS falls for us this time around.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

What a shame. That is a great tour.

We were there 5 years ago. I was holding on for dear life until we finally got there so I can understand. The roads weren't actually in bad shape but very twisted and steep so if they are deteriorating on top of that! SCARY!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

They were in bad shape two years ago. I swear some of the potholes were bigger than the van we were in. The ride up was an adventure itself. With a lot more rain this year, the roads are probably terrible.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

Exchanged e-mails with Gregg Connell. The roads are not passable with his vehicles. He does not want to put travelers in a dangerous situation.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayfield Falls - Reggae-Tours cancelling

cebakes, does Gregg happen to know if there are plans to repair the road?