We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
347 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Is the upgrade to preferred club worth it? Booking it beforehand will cost approx $700 extra. Should we just book a regular room and upgrade upon check in if it's available? Or is a regular room just as well? We usually stay Excellence Club at the Excellence in Punta Cana, but are thinking of changing locations this year.

Any insight is appreciated!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

We did not do Preferred, nor did we think the few benefits of such would of added to our stay nor did we ever care to have anything we actually seen in regards to such.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

In my opinion whether or not the Preferred Club is worth it is all about personal taste and preference - a full list of what the benefits included are listed on their website – see link below:

secretsresorts.com/wildorchid/preferred.asp

Same for SSJ

We have stayed at club level at several resorts over the past few years as we like the added extras – but everyone is different.

Whilst at Secrets last year as well as meeting people who loved being at PC level we also met people who were staying in a PC Suite who had not once used their soaking tub either because they never got round to it or they had a problem with it. We also spoke with some people who never used the PC pool as they much preferred the main swim up ones

We also spoke with many people who were not staying in a PC Suite who were having as equally good as time as we were. All I am saying is that the PC perks and package is only worth it IMHO if you are likely to use them and gain some pleasure from it otherwise the money may be better spent of spa treatments or excursions

We used the facilities and were really glad we had stayed at PC level

The overriding advantage of both PC areas in my view is the fact that they do not have any bars or restaurants in front of them and in the case of SWO PC it has the best views of all the rooms on the peninsula – again that may be of no added value to some people

Secrets are looking at improving the access security to the club areas as some guest who have not paid for the upgrade have been abusing it which is neither right nor fair

The other thing if you like Excellence is to try Excellence Playa Mujeres in Mexico as we preferred that to SWO

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
347 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Thank you ff-man. Can you tell me why you preferred EPM over SWO? It was also one of our choices in the beginning, but I was swayed by the thought of visiting Jamaica :) I am open to Mexico, I am always nervous of the thought because of all the negative media it receives here in Canada. Thoughts?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Hi again

For us it was far better laid out with more choice of restaurants, etc. It also IMHO has more of a WOW factor as you will see, I think, if you look at my two photo albums of it

community.webshots.com/user/flipflop_man

Please note many of the room shots are not of standard rooms so please check out the labels

The Rooftop Terrace suites are just to die for and unlike Secrets the Excellence Club add ons are discretely controlled

Do not get me wrong we had a great holiday at Secrets in Jamaica and were very well treated indeed. The setting on the peninsula at Secrets is also spectacular but EPM just has the "come back again" pull about it

Happy to help further if you need it

Secrets Santuary Cap Cana is also worthy of a look at - I also have an album and videos of that as well

Kankakee, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Travelbug, This is my first visit to Jamaica, and I am probably as nervous about going there as you would be about Mexico. We have been going to Mexico for the last 20 years. At first it was always the Cancun area, but as of the last 6 years we have been in Playa Del Carmen area. Honestly I feel safer in Playa then I do in Chicago. We have never had a problem there and have always been treated really well. My wife decided she wanted to try some other area this year, so we will see if Jamaica will be our new favorite destination.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

Does anyone know how much they charge at the resort to upgrade to Preferred Club? Is one PC nicer than the other? (WO vs SJ). We're thinking of travelling end of April 2012 and trying to decide which one to book and if we should pay the extra for PC (in some cases $600-900 extra for 3 nights if we book PC while booking the trip!). We've heard it is cheaper to try to upgrade at the resort itself once you arrive. Do they only have Jr. Suite Oceanview and Jr. Suite OV Preferred Club rooms?

Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

We upgraded to the Preffered Club last year and what I learned is that the price fluctuates. The first time I inquired it was over $300/person. I asked my travel agent to keep an eye on it. She called me 3 days later and the price had gone down to around $80/person for the upgrade.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

At both PC areas they have Master Suites and also a Presidential Suite. At SWO PC you have swim out suites

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
106 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

We stayed Preferred Club at SWO in November, and personally, I don't think the extra cost was worth it.

This was our 1st trip to SWO. Previously, we have been to EPM 3 times and loved each trip there.

I would book to go to EPM for visit #4 again in a heartbeat with no hesitation. Not sure if I would go to SWO again.

Hope that helps...

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Preferred Club @ Secrets Wild Orchid

What is EPM? Sorry if this is a stupid question. :-)