We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

On our return flight from Montego Bay to Toronto on Monday March 7 with Thomas Cook, flight QK3033, we had approximately $500 worth of jewellery stolen from our bags. Okay, obviously it was a mistake not to put the jewellery in our carry-on but the airline should have staff monitoring the baggage handlers. We are going through our trip insurance and hopefully will be able to re-coup some of our losses. Note they only stole jewellery with gold in it; 2 sets of earring and 1 necklace. We had a great vacation but this kind of put a downer on it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

this is why you should lock your luggage - it may not have prevented the theft but would have made it much more difficult

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

? You lock your luggage ? Don't you have to use TSA approved locks, that every person in the luggage area has a TSA approved key to open said lock?

Only gold...yep, $1435 an ounce I can see why!

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

TSA has signs all over the place in airports advising travelers NOT to lock their luggage or they will break the locks.

sorry that happened to you, of course it's not right.

but at the same time, i am frankly surprised that anyone does not know this by now, or thinks an unlocked bag containing valuable items is safe in ANY airport. there is no "monitoring" of staff - there's thousands of employees working behind the scenes in loads of different spots in any given airport, there is no possible way to have "monitors" standing over every work station.

i thought it was already common knowledge that valuables shouldn't be packed into checked bags.

Edited: 09 March 2011, 17:33
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

I'd rather have a lock (TSA approved, of course) on my luggage to slow someone down, even just a little bit, than to not lock at all. And just like if your car got stolen, the first thing the insurance will probably ask, "Was your luggage locked?".

OP, how can you be sure it happened in Montego Bay? Didn't your luggage get handled once you arrived home also?

And yes, all valuables should be put in your carry on.

Edited: 09 March 2011, 17:34
Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

and just like defensive driving is critical on the road, so is defensive flying .....

baggage theft is common - COMMON - in all airports.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

Possibly, but our luggage came pretty quickly after de-planing. I don't think bags not going on a plane are given much scrutiny. Note the jewellery was in the checked bags when we went from Toronto to Montego Bay as well.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

>>this is why you should lock your luggage - it may not have prevented the theft but would have made it much more difficult

Much more difficult... Really ?

Think again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfYuUPcgHg

Peterborough
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

Yes, and if people don't report thefts, it will continue to be a problem. I'm just trying to make people aware.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

TSA locks are only required if you're flying in or out of the US, otherwise a standard luggage lock is fine.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning: Theft from Baggage at Montego Bay Airport

Again with the worthless locks...

Guess no one has watched the link I provided

Peterborough_Family

You say carry-on, but I take it that you checked this item in instead of carrying it on the plane ? Correct ?

If so, my question is why would you even do such a thing. Why wasn't this jewelry in your purse or any bag that was actually with you to carry on ? After all this isn't something that needed to be in a checked bag

Edited: 09 March 2011, 17:54