We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

Douglasville...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

I knew when I booked, that RDMB isn't known for having a great beach... so are there are any nice (maye public?) beaches close by -hopefully walking distance from RDMB- where we could walk the shoreline, swim, and hang out without worrying about being kicked out b/c we're on private property and aren't guests at their resort? I've read that Negril has really good beaches...how much (roughly) is a taxi-ride from MoBay to Negril? Also, around how much did you all spend in taxi fare in a week's time, just going place to place? I don't think we'll be taking taxis everyday, but we do want to go sightseeing. We'll probably take a couple of excursions that will include a bus ride (I would imagine), but everything else will probably be by taxi, if not in walking distance from RDMB. Would $100 be a good amount to designate for a week's worth of taxi rides? Thanks!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

The beach at RDMB is small, but it's not too bad. Doctors Cave beach is a five minute walk from RDMB. It bigger and a little nicer. It's $5US pp per day to get in.

It really depends where all you want to go by taxi. If you are going to do any kind of site seeing, $100 probably isn't going to be enough. If you just want to go a few places for shopping or to get something to eat, you might be ok.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

Cornwall Beach is next to RDMB and I've seen people walk around the fence by the snack bar. If you go by street it would be maybe 3 minutes and probably about $5. Doctors Cave beach is next to Cornwall.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

Cornwall is a private beach leased by Island Dreamer catamarans though. So they may or may not let you stay there. Probably depends on the day and time. You could probably go by way of Cornwall to access Doctors Cave though. I don't know if they'd still charge you or not.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

Hello,

Going to Negril is an all day trip! Depending on traffic, it's about 1 1/2 hours. A private taxi (JUTA) will probably run about $140-160, for the day! The taxi will take you to the Tree House Resort in the middle of the "7 mile" beach, where you can use the resorts bathroom and showers as long as you buy lunch or do the bar. The great thing about hiring a taxi is that you will have a guided tour, you can leave things in the taxi, and you can come & go as you please! Get another couple/s and share the cost. When I do day trips, I just ask if anyone is interested in doing a day trip and share the cost! I've had from just one couple to 5!

Take it nice and easy,

grac

5. Re: Nice beaches close to RDMB and taxi fare for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:18