We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are visiting the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in May for the first time. I have some questions that I wonder if anyone here can help me with:

*Are you allowed to have floats in the pools?

*Would you recommend bringing a mug of some sort to keep drinks cold?

*How much US money should we bring for tips?

*What restaurants at the other two resorts are worth reserving?

*We are hoping to do a tour one day. Any recommendations, we're tihnking maybe Dunne River Falls with something else?

*Any recommendations for shopping in the area. Has anyone shopped at Rose Hall close by?

Thanks everyone :)

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Having stayed at the Suites this time, and walking down to the Grand, I can help you here. We stayed at the Grand in Mexico as well.

*Would you recommend bringing a mug of some sort to keep drinks cold? - For sure. In Mexico at the Grand, they provided insulated Iberostar mugs for the day. Not sure if they have them in Jamaica, but they are light weight to pack and inexpensive. It's better to have than not.

*How much US money should we bring for tips? - We normally bring $100.00 in singles and use them freely. We tip at dinner but that's normally 5-10 so we don't burn singles up. Make sure to go with plenty of smaller bills if you plan on shopping.

*We are hoping to do a tour one day. Any recommendations, we're tihnking maybe Dunne River Falls with something else? - if you enjoy adventure, zip-lining with Chukka tours is great. Snorkeling - Dreamer Catamaran with Margartaville stop.....fun!!!

*Any recommendations for shopping in the area. Has anyone shopped at Rose Hall close by? - It's close, and they offer free shuttles every hour on the hour. We skipped it for the Mo-Bay shopping trip (16 pp) for 3 hours, - 3 stops and something for everyone.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Are you allowed to have floats in the pools? Yes you are. I brought my own from home and the towel hut guys blew them up for me. Just be aware that people leave theres behind at the resort and the towel hut people lend them out. So if people see your float laying around they may think its one of those and take it. It happened to us quite often. It wasn't a huge deal since I learned to share in Kindergarden, but got a little bothersome to try to hunt it down each time I wanted to use it.

*Would you recommend bringing a mug of some sort to keep drinks cold? I normally bring a mug when I stay at all inclusives but really didn't need one at the Grand. They have beach and pool drink service and room service will deliver whatever drinks you want to your room. The only time I used it was to fill with coffee in the morning to take with me on my beach walks.

*How much US money should we bring for tips? For a week's stay I would say about $300. Maybe a little more if you use your butler alot (we never saw ours) The staff never made us feel like they expected a tip. We left $3-$5 on the table at each meal and then tipped the pool and lobby bartenders $20 at the end of our stay. A couple dollars on the table at the lobby bar when we went there to have a drink.

*What restaurants at the other two resorts are worth reserving? The two I enjoyed at the Suites (when I stayed there) were the Mexican and the Mediteranean. HATED the Steakhouse. With that being said, for my return trip to the Grand in June I don't intend to eat at the Suites since my goal is a kids free vacation. The Suites lunch buffet is great however, actually preferred it to the Grand's

*We are hoping to do a tour one day. Any recommendations, we're tihnking maybe Dunne River Falls with something else? Just got back from staying in Falmouth for a week and did Martha Brae rafting and Luminous Lagoon (you do this one at night) Both were well work the time. Another recommendation would be to hire a private driver for the day and have them take you to Brownstown. Nice drive through the hills, places to stop for refreshments on the side of the road and Brownstown has a great market. Not touristy at all.

*Any recommendations for shopping in the area. Has anyone shopped at Rose Hall close by? Not a shopper so can't help you with this one. Next to the Beach hotel on the beach there are locals with huts if you are just looking to pick up your standard souveniers: T Shirts, woodcarvings that type of thing. The shops at Rose Hall would be good if you are looking to by jewelry, watches that type of thing.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Ok, so I will definitely pack mugs for us to have along just in case. And some floats!

I'm going to check out those suggestions for tours. We would like something adventurous so zip lining is a possibility, but the Dreamer Catamaran looks like a great trip as well!

Am thinking of booking Mexican at the Suites for sure. I have heard good things about the steakhouse there as well, we have 8 nights, so lots of places to eat.

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

We also did the Luminous Lagoon and were EXTREMELY disappointed. It's 60 pp and not very entertaining. You leave at 6:00, you do get to enjoy a nice sunset, I will say that.

Once you arrive at the Lagoon, you do small ride to kill time for darkness. The water itself is warm, but very shallow and all MUD! I'm only 5'2, and was sinking up to my knees in muck. That being said, as soon as you disturb the bottom, the water becomes muddy and the illusion of light is gone. With 15-20 people on the boat, you can imagine how fast this gets disturbed.

It was probably the only hiccup of the week, so no big deal. It's a lengthy (45 min) boat ride back in the pitch dark ocean and can be a little intimidating w/ the waves and speed. The coast is nice to view at night but not worth it for us.

When we did the Dreamer Catamaran we booked the 2:00, and arrived back at the resort about 7 or so, we were able to see a beautiful sunset on the Dreamer, it was unintentional, but nice!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

The Catamaran sounds really nice, and a visit to Jimmy Buffet's would be fun!

The Lagoon doesn't sound quite as appealing! lol

What type of things go on during the day at the resorts? Fitness classes, activities, etc?

Houston
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

What we did last week was bring a lot of ones and a mix of other bills but when we got there had no problem cashing any denomination for ones at the front desk. So next time i wouldnt bother bringing ones and just the money i wanted to spend.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Whitesands. Your luminous lagoon experience sounds just the opposite of mine. We paid $30 per person, had about 10 people in the boat and the effect in the water was amazing. I agree the muck at the bottom was a bit unsettling, (no pun intended!) but we just thought of it as standing in mashed pototoes and that helped get over the gross out factor. Some people just treaded water or put a life jacket on so they didn't need to touch the bottom.

We never left the lagoon and it was smooth as glass and the ride back to shore was only 15 minutes. Isn't that funny how the same tour can be so different depending on the night you are there, the guide etc.

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

Susan, we booked through the dive shop, Dressel and we were bummed out! I know what you mean about different experiences....we took the taxi there for a 15 minute ride, but the boat ride back was long and sort of scary.

Who did you book through??

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

wimbly, during the day each hotel has their own activities but they are all pretty much the same. They have water polo in the pools, volleyball in pool and beach, aerobics....a little of everything.

I personally thought watching the NOON beach aerobics from the infinity pool w/ my rum punch was the way to go!! Those ladies were busting it out though!! We did the pool activities quite a bit, it was fun.

They also have Bingo, ping bong and bocce ball.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall Questions

We took a taxi there and back so never left the lagoon.....I get it now from reading your last post. You actually rode the boat back to the resort. I was WONDERING why it would take that long to get back....the lagoons not that big!

We did it on our own. Got a group of people together from our resort and just went. Our resort wasn't very far from the lagoon. We paid our $30 directly at Luminous Lagoon. I've learned its usually better from both a price standpoint and a crowd standpoint to not do the organized tour stuff. Downside is you do have to do research ahead of time and do a little more work yourself, but for us its worth it.