We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

Does anyone know how much it costs and what sizes it comes in?

Can you buy it at duty free?

WI
Level Contributor
379 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

You can buy coffee in packages from 2 ounces to 5 pounds. Cost is from 7 or 8 to 25 or 30 dollars per pound! Coffee purchased can be counted toward your duty free allowance. I recently bought 5 lbs of roasted beans @ the airport for $55.00. That was for Jamaica "High Mountian" rather than "Blue Mountian" The experts will tell you that blue mountian is better but I like the high mountian just fine!

Dave

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

If you are in MoBay..head to either Hi Lo in Bogue or to Mega Mart to purchase your coffee. It's cheaper and you do not pay duty on it.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

Is there duty on anything in Jamaica?

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

Thank you everyone!

Does anyone know how much it costs at duty free for 2lbs or 4lbs of Jamaica Blue Mountain and which type is a good quality coffee.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

I bought coffee at three different places, a shop where I sampled the different qualities, a grocery store in Ocho Rios, and a street vendor supply house a vendor took me to. All were the high quality Blue Mountain and long consumed.

Two pieces of advice for you, buy more than you are inclined. Next trip I will definitely buy at the grocery store. It was the same price as the warehouse and much more convenient. Besides it was fun to check out the other foodstuffs! I buy the whole beans and converted a number of non coffee drinkers in the family. That's why I should have bought more! Certainly wasn't planning on sharing it with so many. If you are in MoBay head to Iriestar's spots.

We've never purchased over $800 worth of goods to worry about paying a duty. Now if they change the limit of Rum you can bring back that could change, LOL!

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

"It's cheaper and you do not pay duty on it."

I have no idea what that means. You certainly don't pay duty anywhere on Blue Mountain coffee. If it was imported, you might pay import duty (included in the price) at a local grocery store.

An example would be buying a bottle of Johnny Walker. At the duty free shops at the airport, you'd get a better deal than at a store, because the duty free zone doesn't pay import tax on the merchandise they sell. Reason being it's not for consumption in Jamaica.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 17:41
7. Re: Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 20:17