We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

Hi, I booked our dream holiday in February to go to Jamaica in October 2011, and have just found out that it is in their hurricane season, is this anything to worry about, does it rain continuously or is it only for a bit then it's all clear again, the travel agent never said anything about it being the hurricane season, surely they should alert you of this when booking, so it at least gives you the choice of whether you still want to go on that date.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

Some people have good luck during hurricane season and go every year. The rates at that time are certainly better. Make sure you have trip insurance just in case.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

No one can tell you this far in advance what the weather is going to be. It is hurricane season, but that doesn't mean you'll experience one. You may get some rain, maybe some days it will rain all day, but those aren't the norm. More than likely you might see some rain for a few hours during the day.

As Marnie said, if you don't already have it and it's not too late to get it, buy travel insurance, just in case.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

we have also booked for early oct ....fingers crossed eh ...where you staying ....?

Edited: 09 May 2011, 18:32
United States
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

In addition to Hurricane season (one is possible but not likley) October is also the end part of rainy season in Jamaica. In early October it is probable that there will be many days with rain. In most cases the rain will come in the late afternoon and be over by the end of dinner (if not before). However, it is possible that the rain will last longer. This far in advance the exact amount of rain is impossible to forcast.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

We have travelled to the Caribbean many times during the hurricane season and have only been unlucky once. As has been said no one knows whet this year will bring but it has not stopped us booking a trip to another island for late September

You will get some rain but that would be the same had you booked for most of the summer months

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

I"ve been about a dozen times in Sept/Oct and never really had bad weather. We've had rain mainly in the afternoon but usually not enough to change our day. We were there when Rita hit Houston. And we were in St Kitts when Andrew went by and landed in Ft Lauderdale the night Andrew hit.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

Hello,

Just read that all the BAD WEATHER that hit the Northeast of the U.S. this past winter, is taking a vacation to Jamaica and expected to hit sometime in October, and cousin "Hurricane" will join in for a nice fall vacation, also going is Liquid Sunshine and Mr. Sol! "Liquid Sunshine" is paying for the trip but is not happy about going to Jamaica because of big brother Mr Sol, who is very demanding and always tries to outshine everybody! So, who will show up? Time will tell.

NEWSFLASH! Mr Sol, hit the lottery, and is going regardless of his family and will be there in October and will not pay for the "others" because they cause too much STRESS!

I meet Mr Sol everyday while in Jamaica, and always have a great time!

All in fun.

Take it nice and easy,

grac

Wallington , Surrey...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

We are going to jamacia late Sept and have been worried about the rain after your review I can hopefully relax thanks

Debbie

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

I am also going in October and have NO worries about the weather..what will be will be and we can do nothing about it..

I have been in February, April, June, September, November and December and had a great time everytime...yes you might get some rain but not enough to ruin your holiday...this is my 10th trip and sooooo looking forward to going again.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
203 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is weather bad in Montego Bay Jamaica in early October

We were in J in Feb and the weather wasn't great, but it didn't destroy our holiday. Our trip in Oct might be at the end of the hurricane season but after 3 hurricanes they are just big storms!