We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Hi everyone - I'm getting ready to book RDMB in December, and I've read a review saying the internet was really pricey. Does anyone know just how much it cost? I need internet for my work. Or is there an internet cafe nearby I could walk to a couple of times?

also, - their website says ALL rooms are ocean view - but on expedia - it says ocean view is upgrade? Please advise.

Next - their website also says they have scuba lesson in their pool - but that is all it says. I have sent an email several days ago, but have not heard back

thanks everyone!!

deb

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Never seen any scuba lesson in the pools there.

When I was last there internet was like $10.00 for 15 min and their computors were slow so by the time I got signed on and to what I needed half my time was up

ALMOST all the rooms are Ocean view. I would not upgrade just send a request a few weeks before you go with what room number you want to shoot for. You could also call a week or so before you go.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

I forget the exact cost, but internet was VERY pricey - and I don't recall if they had wifi - the one trip I used it, I used the computer in the lobby - so you are stuck to when they are available. If you absolutely must have it and expect extended need for it, you can get a modem and prepaid wifi from Digicel, Claro, etc... -

My favorite room that we stayed in there was not an oceanview - it actually overlooked the small pool, and the trees blocked the ocean view - But it was so peaceful and quiet to sit on the balcony.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Marylynn and Suz, thanks for the quick reply. do you know of an internet cafe near by?? and I've never heard of "you can get a modem and prepaid wifi from Digicel, Claro, etc... -"

if they have wifi - can't we just use our own computers? ok - I'm confused.

deb

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

I can't give you an exact internet cafe - But I know there is at least one if you walk off the resort and up the hip strip.

The way that the modem works is you buy the modem and a prepaid sim card that you then add credit to - you can purchase it in varying amounts - I think Claro does 3, 7, 15, and 30 day packages - You then have unlimited usage of their network, but it's almost like dialup - you have to dial into their system, and have credit, to access it - if that makes sense.

There is another company called DeKal wireless, but I am not sure how well they work in Mo Bay.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

i discovered an internet cafe on my last trip there...if you turn right out of RDMB and start heading up the hip strip it is on your left hand side just past the first set of shops...not sure the name of it but it was a MUCH better deal than internet at the decameron...you buy a card $10 or $20 or whatever (depending on how much you need to use it) and it will give you a certain amount of minutes you can go back and use throughout the week...it was a wonderful find!

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

ok - unless I'm really off my rocker - googling claro prepaid internet shows me it would cost up to 2000.00 for 7 days of internet? surely I"m not seeing this right.

deb

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

There are a few rooms that are not ocean front that are used primarily for overflow. If you request a certain part of the building they usually give it to you. Scuba is available but isn't pushed hard. Last trip the instructor was called in only when needed. The pool scuba lesson is to get you interested in either a resort course of open water scuba course

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Deb,

2,000.00 Jamacian dollars = 23.4605 USD

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

Thanks l - I wish they'd email back as to the cost for the course.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: internet , room & scuba at RDMB?

LOLLLL - so the websites I am looking at are in jamaican dollars? some of their site has a J before the amount, but the spot I was looking at did not. OH, this is too funny!!

Ok - now that's completely reasonable - is there a Caro shop near RDMB or in the airport? I'll have my son with me also and I don't know that he can survive 6 days without internet!

I carry a small netbook with me - will that work ok for the modem?

deb