We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay Safe???

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
855 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Montego Bay Safe???

I am thinking about going solo to RDMB. I am a 40 years old woman and I travel solo a lot. Is it safe to walk on the Hip Street during the day alone? I've heard contradictory comments on this. Can I go and take a walk and shop?

Or is there a better place to shop and cheaper?

For a solo trip, would you recommend RDMB? I thought since it is so small, it would be easier to get to know people and close to major attractions such as Margaritaville.

Any comment will be appreciated!

Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego Bay Safe???

I have stayed solo at both RDMB and Toby's (just across the street). The Hip Strip is very safe - lots of Tourist Police during the day (and into the evening). They will even help you cross the street (I found myself unsure of when I should dart across and when I should wait, since I was not used to traffic coming from the other direction). As a female alone, you will attract a lot of male attention but a simple no thanks works wonders. I wasn't followed or harassed, as I found to be the cases in the Dominican Republic and Mexico.

As far as shopping, I found the prices to be better closer to RDMB. As you get closer to Margaritaville the shops become increasingly more expensive due to more Cruise Ship tourists that visit.

I found it was fairly easy to meet people at RDMB if you want that. The swim-up bar is a good place to start. The security guards will take good care of you too.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to Margaritaville at 11pm every night and there are usually quite a few people from the hotel that go.

HTH. PM me if you have any questions!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego Bay Safe???

Go to Negril; skip MoBay....

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montego Bay Safe???

Go to Negril; skip MoBay....

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego Bay Safe???

RDMBs great and the hip strip is safe. Just remember "if you wouldn't do it at home don't do it on vacation". Walking down the street late at night afterdrinking isn't wise. Wondering off with a stranger isn't wise.

5. Re: Montego Bay Safe???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:18