We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Horseheads, NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

Good morning all! Just looking for some opinions on if I should bring my Nikkon P100 with me on our vacation. On the one hand, I don't want to have to worry about it getting broken or stolen but on the other, I'm new to photography and I can't think of a more beautiful place to get some practice in! I also worry about getting through security with it as its semi-bulky and I don't know if the xray machines would somehow damage it? Just wondering if other people bring their big cameras to do some photography while on vacation. Thanks in advance! :)

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

I bring my expensive DSLR with me, including additional lenses - Not every trip - never had an issue through security with it - I definitely keep it with me in carry on, not ever checked - I have even argued with the flight attendant when they were having everyone check carry ons due to lack of space that unless they were willing to sign a waiver and accept the responsibility for the $100000s of camera equip in my bag, I wasn't checking it - Miraculously they found room for my bag.

I don't bring it to the beach with me if I plan to swim / laze around - I bring a cheap point and shoot for that - and take care to lock it, keep it in a safe case, etc...

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

I've done both....I've taken my expensive equipment and the last time I bought this little $300 point and shoot. I love photography and love using my good camera and lenses but.....on my last trip it was kind of nice not having to haul all the equipment around, worrying about damage or someone stealing it. I just put my point in shoot in my pocket and actually was quite impressed with the photos I got out of the little thing.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

If this expensive item is going to be on your mind all vacation then no. How bad would you feel if it was damaged or stolen? Same goes for jewelry, electronics, etc. Relax and enjoy your vacation without having to mind your expensive items.

4. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 July 2011, 15:56
Edited: 25 July 2011, 15:56
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

I bring my Nikon D90, extra lenses, tripod (tripod only, in checked bag) etc. I carry on a camera backpack and my gear is insured.

It's part of my vacation mindset, so for me, it doesn't require any extra effort bringing all that stuff.

When I am out and about shooting, I use an old worn backpack or bag to carry the camera - not my fancy padded camera bag i travel with. I also use a plain black strap that doesn't scream "Nikon"" in yellow.

The xray equipment won't damage your camera (are you thinking of 35mm film?)

For some, they don't want to have to worry bout their gear on vacation which is a valid point.

6. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 July 2011, 16:00
amsterdam
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

My longtime friend is a free lance photographer. He travels with a lot of his expensive equipment all the time but with one single rule......INSURANCE!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

I bring a DSLR kit worth approx. $4K, a P&S and a waterproof camera on vacation. I don't like lugging the DSLR everywhere and there are some places you can't take it so the P&S comes in handy and it's always useful to have as a back up. Just be sure the your room has a decent size safe. Secondly, if you have not done so already, get your equipment insured - it costs me $100 / year but is well worth it to have that peace of mind.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

The P100 is not a very obstrusive camera in and of itself...keep the lenses low key and you can be OK.

Hub is a pro photographer - our equipment is considerably more valuable than what's been mentioned here. Now, that said, he does sometimes bring his back up pro camera and one sometimes two lenses. The rig seldom leaves our yard (there's so much to photograph in and around our yard) and when it does it's going to another secure place in a case that doesn't scream "I have camera equipment". (A friend's house or place of business for example - we've done favors for friends and shot their weddings or their hotel property) You have to remember that there are eyes everywhere and they are looking to see what the tourist brings...cameras, Smart Phones, Laptops, IPads...you get my drift. The more low key you can be with this type of stuff the more secure your stuff will be. Do not leave it out in the open in your room when not in use - make sure it is all securely put away. Insurance IS key but make sure you have the right insurance...CALL them to find out if your equipment is insurance for damage and theft IN Jamaica specifically.

When changing lenses be very careful - sand and seawater can wreak havoc on camera equipment. Never change lenses on the beach, make sure you bring a cleaning kit for your sensor (yes, even if it self-cleans) and when cleaning try to do so in a low humidity environment (we try to seek out an airconditioned room, the only time we ever seek out airconditioning in Jamaica ever!)

Still, for 90% of the photos we take we use our point and shoot (just got a Lumix, it'll go for it's first "swim" this winter). Have fun and happy shooting!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you bring an expensive camera on your vacation?

absolutly...if I had one!

Jamaica is a place for beautiful pictures so what not capture those moments with the best!

PEACE!