We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in MoBay with young child?

Chicago
Level Contributor
102 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in MoBay with young child?

Hi all,

We are very excited to be going to Montego Bay over the winter holidays and will be bringing our 4 year old daughter. We are staying at the Rose Hall Hilton for 1 week. Any suggestions for nearby tours or activities, or should we just kick back and enjoy the resort? My hubby wants to drive to Kingston or around the island - looks rather far to me. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!

PJ813

United States
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

For some ideas on things to do see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147311-c150080/Monte…

Renting a car and driving it on the island is not recommended. See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c2512/Jamaica…

Your hotel can arrange for a car with a qualified Jamaican driver to take you anywhere in the country.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

You can go to Dolphin Cove near Ocho Rios and 'touch' the dolphins. Older kids/adults can swim with the dolphins. There are also sharks and other animals there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
102 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

Thanks for the suggestions - my daughter loves Dolphin's on TV so i'm sure she'd like Ocho Rios.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

I've traveled all over Jamaica for 20 yrs and for the past 5 I've taken my bushbaby 5 x's (she's now 5).

Each time I plan to take her all over and we have friends in many places and she has family in Mobay. We tend to go 1 or 2 places and not make it to many. i say chill and relax and enjoy the resort. She will love the beach and sea and pool. Bring a float and beach toys and then leave them behind. In Mobay I go to Aqua Sol beach. You could do a Martha Brae raft trip with her and the Rockland Bird Santuary. Kingston is far but if you want to journey into the hils you can do Bob Marley Nine Mile. You can also do a day trip to Negril and get a private driver for all your travels and have him show you spots along the way.

Even at 4 take a good stroller. You can walk the hip strip at night with a sleeping baby and even if she's not a great napper-she will on the beach with that sea air and crashing sea...kinda like the sleep sheep (if you have one!)

PEACE!

Chicago
Level Contributor
102 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

Thanks Bushgrl - great advice. We might just enjoy the resort, and will be sure to bring some beach and pool toys!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

I shoved a noodle in my bag this last trip and by the end she was swimming without it! (so if she needs one or floaties don;t forget!)

PEACE!

Southern California
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

we just returned from Hilton Rose Hall with our 3 and 6 year olds... They loved the waterpark but definitely bring some sort of flotation device so you don't have to be carrying her everywhere in the lazy river--they have big inner tubes that are VERY large (my 6 year old couldn't really stay inside well). Even if she's a good swimmer, the current makes it hard to swim solo.

Also, you probably know but the larger waterslide has a height requirement of 48 inches (which I think is silly but it's just bc you need to go i those big inner tubes and the smaller kids can't fit in there).

My husband and I are pretty adventurous and we brought both kids to Mayfield Falls and had them climb the falls with us. They have private guides there and the guy basically carried my 6 year old up most of the way-- it was AMAZING, though!!

we also went to doctor's cave beach for half a day-- Again, if you have your own flotation that's great, otherwise rent a vest-- and your 4 year old can swim out to the big trapolines. My 3 year old just wore her goggles (and floatie) and basically 'snorkeled' with us there-- she got to see all the different fish at the coral reef--- just lifted her face out to breathe and then back down again to see... Again, depends on how comfortable your child is with water.

have fun!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

Oh! forgot we also went to luminous lagoon/glistening waters and the kids enjoyed seeing the glowing water at night... both my kids got in the water (with a floatie) and swam but you can see the glow even if you stay on the boat.

9. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2011, 12:37
10. Re: What to do in MoBay with young child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 04:17