We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with a few resort choices....

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
help with a few resort choices....

1st i need to say we have never been to Jamaica at all, so have no idea what to expect. I am looking at a few resorts right now any info on them would be great! we will be traveling with a 5 year old, so early dinner time is a MUST, we also like our a la cartes.

- bahia

- hilton rose

- Palladium

- Riu montego bay or riu negril

OR :

is taking the cheaper choice ok? breezes trelawny or holiday inn sunspree???

any suggestions would be appreciated to help make our decision easier... thx in advance.

p.s. we are thinking of going during spring break ( last week of march)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with a few resort choices....

If a la cartes are important - I'd cross the Riu's off your list. Unless they've changed things, their system of having to line up every other day early in the morning to make reservations really sucks (sorry - can't think of another way to describe it!) You stand there in the blazing heat, get almost to the front of the line only to find out the restaurant you wanted is fully booked!!

The Palladium on the other hand, a la cartes require no reservations. If you're eating early, you probably wouldn't have to wait for a table. When we were there the food was great...

Can't help you with the others, we haven't stayed at either. You might want to consider one of the resorts with a water park since you're travelling with a 5 year old.

You will love Jamaica!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with a few resort choices....

so what resorts have a water park that you would recommend?

3. Re: help with a few resort choices....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2011, 12:37
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with a few resort choices....

It's Sunset Beach in Mo Bay - Jamaica Grande is in Ocho Rios. But, I would agree with the recommendation for Sunset Beach - I have also heard good things about Holiday Inn - taking the cheaper choice is definitely okay.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with a few resort choices....

what can anyone tell me about the sunset beach or holiday inn. food / drinks?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with a few resort choices....

I have stayed at RIU MoBay. We made our reservations for the ala carts the morning after we arrived for the week. Never had to wait in line and was no problem getting into any of them. I guess if you wait until each day to make them and go down mid morning you may have issues but we had none. It had a great pool, kids club, lots of food choices as my son is a very picky eater and he lived on the pizza and french fries. Super large beach. It was a nice resort.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with a few resort choices....

We jsut spent a week at Sunset Beach & had a fab time. We felt it was easily worth what we paid ($2600 for family of 4 from Canada).

Food - good selection at buffet, with an omelette station at b'fast, burgers & deli (wraps) at lunch & carvery & pasta at night.

A la cartes were good, you can book for the same day or the next, so you do have to go to guest services to get in. Well worth it though!

The beach grill was good too, although jamaican hot dogs sure are pink!

Drinks - bar tenders were great! They don't have a cocktail list, but they know their stuff! One fellow guests asked to see the bartenders book for inspiration & they let her have a look.

You can ask for Appleton rum.

We booked a reno'd room & it was fine, we had a bay view (where the cruise ships come in).

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with a few resort choices....

Just to add....a la cartes have a 6pm seating.

The waterpark is fab for kids. My 2 didn't go in the kids club, but it looked good. They posted activities at the towel hut each day.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with a few resort choices....

I would agree with Becky's review - we were only there 1 night, so we didn't bother with the ala carte - But the buffet was suprisingly good for all three meals - bartenders were definitely great - nice beaches, nice pool, loved the lazy river -

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with a few resort choices....

wow you did pay a good price. for our family of 3 at spring break ( march 21-28) it's 3704