We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It really annoys me........

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
It really annoys me........

I've been to Jamaica twice and I absolutely adore the country, the people, the culture, the music, the food etc. I'm planning my 3rd trip back as I love it that much.

However, it really annoys me that (this is certainly the case in the UK) whenever you tell somebody that you are either going to Jamaica or have been the first thing they are more or less guaranteed to ask you is one of 2 questions:-

1) Isn't it really dangerous there and you can't leave your hotel?

Or;

2) Did you have any problems?

I know that Jamaica, like any country, does have its problems but it really frustrates me that this is the first thing that alot of people say when they think of it. How many people either miss out on visiting a fantastic country because they just won't visit due to negative attitudes of others or don't enjoy their experience in Jamaica as they arrive with preconceived notions of danger?

I got back from Jamaica last week and in the last 3 days I've lost count of how many people have mentioned the words 'Jamaica' and 'danger' in the same sentence. I won't tire of reassuring people but it amazes me how many people have such a bad impression of a wonderful country.

1. Re: It really annoys me........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2011, 16:26
roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: It really annoys me........

Don't bother. No one can experience life how you do or enjoy what you enjoy in your soul so don;t waste your time!

Spend your time planning your next trip!

PEACE!

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It really annoys me........

Atlantafellow - Sorry to be ignorant but what is '420 friendly'?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It really annoys me........

I had a friend / client--take me to the side after our last meeting before my trip a week later to ask me "Do you konw what your doing ?--I've been told that Jamaica is really dangerous !! --TOP 10 in DANGER !!) he honestly told me.

To which I said nicely to him back--" I hadn't ever heard that about Jamaica. Where are you hearing such things? He then told me a student of his--a former Jamaican Resident told him thats why he came to this country.(The US)

I took the time to talk to him and reassure him that there are troubles in parts of Jamaica --just like everywhere else in this world. Probably this young man came form a troubled area of Jamaica. I would NOT be going to areas that are known to be troubled.. The areas I am going to be are quiet and safer.....just as safe as The New Jersey Broadwalk , Downtown Manhattan,New Orleans or most any other travel destinations.

The storys and rumours are everywhere,

Edited: 12 October 2011, 22:10
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
397 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It really annoys me........

It annoys me too......But....I enjoy talking of Jamaica and telling people how WONDERFUL it truly is. The beauty...the people etc. There are bad places everywhere. I just choose to not go to those areas. Pretty simple really. :-) Like the commercial say..."Once you go, You know!!"

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
872 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: It really annoys me........

"420 friendly" means you smoke marijuana. I believe it comes from 420 being police code for possession. And it's funny - people assume the same of my wife and me because of our yearly tips to Jamaica.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: It really annoys me........

Everybody said all the things listed above when I went to Playa Del Carmen this past June. ( YucatanTimes.com), nobody has said anything about our trip to Jamaica this December. Mostly jokes about smokin and gettin naked! I have learned the people that tend to make rude or ignorant comments to me, don't travel out of the US, so I try to give them a little slack, and tell them vacations are what you make of them and if I am with my hubby ALL of my trips are fantastic!

the pas manitoba
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It really annoys me........

420 is not police code for possession....that is just a well spread rumor. 420 actually is a date. April 20th, where people who believe it should be legalized smoke dope in public places in large numbers etc. eg - legislative buildings, courthouses, etc. happens each year, same date.

9. Re: It really annoys me........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2011, 16:26
TN
Level Contributor
841 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It really annoys me........

"Of course having a lot of websites telling you not to accept calls from the 876 area code doesn't help either."

Uh huh. ;-) and the usual suspects are, The Good The Bad and The Ugly