We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Excursions

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question on Excursions

I have been reading a lot about the activities to do in Jamaica. I have "narrowed" it down to White water rafting, Ricks Cafe, Luminous lagoon, blue whole springs and zip lining. Needless to say I cant do all of it in 5 nights. Have any of you had experience with these? I love water and jumping into it!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Excursions

We were in Montego Bay recently (stayed at the Secrets St. James) and did one excursion on our trip - we went to Mystic Mountain for ziplining and then on to Dunns River Falls. Was an awesome day - the ziplining was intense and the falls after was a great way to cool down. Went through Jamaica Tours - our driver was named Gary, who was awesome. If you end up in Ochos Rios (where both are located, as well as Luminous Lagoon), make sure you stop at Scotchies for some amazing Jerk....

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Excursions

The Luminous Lagoon is AMAZING!! It was my husbands favourite part of our trip! and We did a few things! It is absolutely incredible to see and definitely worth it!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Excursions

If you love water and jumping into it, I'd say go to Rick's Cafe in Negril. We did an excursion to Negril, Rick's Cafe, shopping, etc. with Reggae Tours and had a blast!

At Rick's Cafe, you can cliff jump but it's definitely not for the wary. My boyfriend jumped and had a huge bruise on his thigh for like a week because he tilted back a bit before landing. I jumped from the second highest point and was okay. There are also lots of smaller jumps to do that aren't so scary. But even if you don't jump, it's fun to watch the Jamaican guys jump... they're crazy! They will hound you for tips though so be prepared.

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Excursions

jenny433.

Why they asked for tips?

I guess because they did the demonstrations , right?

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Excursions

Because they don't get paid by Rick's, they live off tips.

Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on Excursions

While visiting Montego Bay in Jamaica in October we did the South Coast tour which included YS Falls, very nice and refreshing. We also did Montego Bay tour which included Martha Brae bamboo rafting and Luminous Lagoon-a must do, we really enjoyed the Glistening Waters...it was amazing!!! Also we went did the Negril Tour which we visited 7 Mile Beach and watched the sunset and cliff divers from Rick's Cafe. Check with Your Jamaican Tour Guide for tours. Alrick Allen is an excellent guy to deal. I'd certaily recommend YJTG.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on Excursions

If you want something different I would suggest a visit to Turtle Falls & Gardens in Ocho Rios. It's far better than Dunns River Falls as everyone does that and you've got the hassle of the market at the top.

You can go inside the aviary at Turtle Falls and feed the birds that come straight to you, they're NOT shy!! Especially Scott, the large red macaw. There is also a lovely koi carp pond where you can feed the fish.

We had a wonderful trip there only the other week and I would highly recommend it. AND you can get wet if you want as there are 14 different falls!

Edited: 22 November 2011, 15:37
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on Excursions

Thanks for the replys everyone, you have all given very good info. I was worried there was going to be the one person who always posts the link to the activities page in Jamaica, lol

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on Excursions

Ok anyone have any ideas for the best snorkeling place?

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on Excursions

Joecool..Thanks