We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ok stupid question

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ok stupid question

This may show my ignorance but since my wife is with me I am going to ask. I am fairly well traveled and consider myself to have good common sense. We live in south Florida and my wife is a nurse. I told her last night about our surprise Jamaican trip. A couple of her co-workers are from Jamaica. I planned on getting a “red licensed” taxi from the Airport to SSB. Then get a driver to take us to Negril for the day. When she told them of our plans the co-workers said we should not do that and make sure we are in tours, not to go ourselves. From the research I have done it seems safe, but I just want to be reassured or redirected. Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ok stupid question

Hi:

WE use "Red" plated taxis all the time and have never had a problem! WE have been coming to Jamaica for the past 20 years and use "private" taxis all the time for transfers as well as touring the island.

Have a great vacation:

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ok stupid question

You will have no problems.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ok stupid question

Tell her to ask the co-workers if they have ever personally been to JA - more than likely their response will be one of three:

1. No, but I heard,...

2. Yes, but we stayed at an AI and didn't leave the resort

3. Yes, but on a cruise ship stop for the day

You will be fine and have a great time - there is a whole list of honest contacts and drivers on here - you can book in advance with ones that come recommended and have a great time.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ok stupid question

Thanks for your advice guys and gals.

Suz; thats the wierd thing, they are from Jamaica, they used to live there. That was the reason i posted because it was advice from a Jamaican. That being said every thing i have read here including post from the locals indicates safety. What your are saying is what I thought and hoped would be the answers. thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ok stupid question

You'll be fine. You are well traveled and have common sense.

Make sure the rate is discussed prior to getting in the red plate.

There are so many great drivers to hire and take you to Negril for a day. It would be silly to "only do a tour", which is nonsense for them to say that to your wife. Perhaps they are envious of the upcoming vacation...???

On the other hand, if you were planning to go into other parts of the island you have never been to, with reputations for crime, I could understand your wife's coworkers' comments about not going by yourselves.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 29 November 2011, 15:52
Hockessin, Delaware
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ok stupid question

I have traveled Negril with my wife and 2 kids, 15 and 11 through taxis and never had an issue. We even paid the taxi driver up front, he took us to 7 mile beach, came back and picked us up 2 hours later and took us to Ricks, dropped us off and picked us up 2 or 3 hours later. It was a great day, kids loved it, got to see Negril. A few days later did it again and went to Xtabi (I think that's right) had another great day. Taxi drivers in Negril were very safe and very trust worthy in my expericne. Explore and have fun.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ok stupid question

Good to here guys! As always TA community comes threw.

Ps Yamangir - I didn't even think about the envious factor, lol

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ok stupid question

You are OK. just use some common sense.

jamaica
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ok stupid question

I wonder why a jamaican who tell you something like that.

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ok stupid question

may be they just concern about the safety.