We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

I am scared now I've made a mistake. I booked this property, now reading the reviews/forum im worried. I know to take them with a grain of salt and a vaction is what you make it.....but.....have I made the wrong decision?? My other option would have been Breezes Runaway Bay. Any infor either way would be appreciated.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Another poster (that I have not heard from recenly) liked to use the phrase "Once you book, you don't look".

I assume you read reviews and did some research before you booked. And you found good reasons to book RDMB. Have those reasons changed?

On the other hand, BRB is a fine resort, IMO. I have not been to RDMB. It doesn't seem to be right for me. But that's just me.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

What made you chose this property in the first place? Go with that.

I don't think many of the resort get all good reviews. There are a few bad ones sprinkled in among all of them. I've heard nothing but good about RIU. Go and enjoy.

And take the reviews with a grain of salt. Expect to get what you are paying for. Research and understand what is offered at the resort. Too many reviews have expectations of things that a resort has never offered (no beach service, room service, etc).

coventry
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Have also booked this resort and have read the negative and also the positive

Reports , have holidayed in The carabean many times we know what to ex spec. Your holiday is what you make of it injoy it.

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

I loved the Riu, you'll have a nice time....don't worry!!!

IA
Level Contributor
871 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

You will be fine. Although I do love BRB!

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Can you switch to Breezes??

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Please read my reivew on the RIU! It is VERY honest and I have been to Jamaica 11 times. I think it depends what you are looking for in a vacation. If you are a pool person you will love the RIU. If you are all about the Ocean and snorkeling you may be a bit disapointed. I thought the entertainment was really good, drinks were very good, grounds were really nice, staff was very friendly, food was much better then I expected.The rooms were very nice. The resort is close enough to town if you like to go shopping and to Margaritaville short cab ride. Anyway read my review!!!!

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

Thank you all for your input. If it was within 24 hrs I could have switched. But I am going to stick with the Riu and make it the best darn vacation ever :) We are pool people and not overly fussy so I think we will be fine. OOOO next week....I cant wait!! Marylynn......awesome review, TY!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

I think if you go with a good attitude you will be fine. As long as you are not expecting sandals or couples you will be happy! Have a DIrty Banana for me!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked Riu Montego Bay..Mistake??

I will be completely honest I am beyond picky and stayed at the RIU in April with 2 girlfriends when I got there I was not into it and wanted to go elsewhere but after I got settled I had the best time! Our room was the not the nicest ( altough we were told this was the best room in the resort ) I think that was the biggest complaint I had, but who goes to jamaica to stay in the room. I had the time of my life and am returning to Jamaica the middle of this month. The pool is fantastic, the staff is amazing everyone is personable and super friendly, entertainment was great, I recommend making dinner reservations for all nights when you check in we loved the steakhouse and ended up eating there every night.... if you have any additional questions or want to know anything specific you can email me ! Enjoy.... You will fall in love with Jamaica as I have.