We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

I am planning on booking some tours / private driver, but for one day shopping in Montego Bay and one day visiting Negril, I would like to rent a car. I have driven right hand cars before, will be staying at Secrets. Is it dangerous?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

Generally speaking, you're fine driving around the city of Mo Bay and Negril.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

I would say the drive between Montego Bay and Negril, as well as driving around Negril are manageable. If you plan to stick to the Hip Strip in Montego Bay and the main road in and out of the city you would be fine. However, driving in downtown Montego Bay, i.e. around Sam Sharpe Square, is unsafe driving conditions for someone unfamiliar with the area and style of driving.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 22:15
United States
Level Contributor
11,937 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

If you have never been to Jamaica before then driving in the town of Negril is OK. There you will find good streets, the town has only three streets of importance, and not too much traffic. Otherwise, renting a car in Jamaica is not recommended. For a few reasons not to rent a car see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c2512/Jamaica…

I would suggest keeping your driver, with a car, for your trip to Negril.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

cabs are cheap and easy to find. Personally I'd take cabs in Montego Bay and get a driver/drive to Negril.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

Shopping in MoBay and having to park is a bit of a pain. Driver + cell phones can drop you and pick you up easily.

But the drive between the two towns is one of the easier ones in JA, mostly highway.

6. Re: Is it safe to drive around Mo'bay and Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2013, 10:23