We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at Sangster International airport

Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
arriving at Sangster International airport

Just wondering how long it takes to clear customs at Sangster International once arriving?...I have to catch a bus at the Knutsford Bus terminal as soon as I arrive. My plane is supposed to arrive at 3.22 and the Bus I have to catch is 4.30pm..What are my chances?

Thanx

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

How long is a piece of string?

It all depends on how many other arrivals coincide with the arrival of your aircraft. Having said that, an hour and 8 minutes may just be stretching it a little. I've been out in under an hour before, but that was a result of sitting at the pointy end of the plane, so I was one of the first to disembark and get to the immigration a little quicker than then rest of the plane. Plus for once, the priority stickers on my luggage worked and they were amongst the first ones to hit the luggage carousel. I have had times however where I've taken close to two hours to get through due to the large number of incoming flights, plus the weather was a little uncooperative too.

Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

Buggah!...thanks so much for the heads up..good tip on the airplane seating!

Thank you!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

Three things that you can control;

1. Bring a pen on the plane and make sure to completely fill out the JA customs and immigration form completely. Then they are delayed getting in immigration line until the form is complete.

2. Don't check any luggage.

3. Don't bring anything into JA that needs to be declared at customs.

No guarantees...the line at immigration is longer than customs. Just a matter of luck and timing wrt to other arriving flights.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 00:41
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

If you get through Immigration fast, we normally have to stand around and wait for our luggage, so either way there is a waiting game.

One other thing to help get you through Immigration is run off the plane! People stroll down that hall like they're on vacation or something, lol! Seriously though, my husband is 6'5 and we go really fast down that hall, and I am literally out of breath trying to stay caught up with him (I'm only 5'3). Anyway, don't stop to go to the bathroom. Have those forms in your hand before you get off the plane and get in line!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

I wish I knew how to pack with just a carry on haha. I like having a few choices so I definitely overpack - my husband would concur. I too never waste time strolling through the airport. In and out please and thank you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

Regarding filling out the customs/immigration forms...

I know it doesn't sound logical, but fill out the and sign the "Departure" section of the form as well.

When retrieving your luggage, understand that sometimes the airport employees will remove bags from the conveyor belt to make room for other off-loaded baggage. Your bags might have been set aside along the wall of the baggage claim area. When we get there, to potentially save time, my wife watches the conveyor belt while I scan the luuguge off to the side.

Don't go messin' with my beach time! Get me out of that airport as quickly as possible.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

akabraz: You and my wife sound exactly alike...not uncommon we have an entire small suitcase just for her shoes LOL. Lewis and Clark, on their journey in search of the Northwest passage, left with less than what we pack.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

You might be cutting it a little bit close. When we were there a few weeks ago, it took us two hours to clear customs. We arrived on a Saturday and there were several planes arriving at the same time as us as well as several before and after. The line was huge! I have it stored in the back of my mind that when I return to Jamaica next time, it will be on a different day of the week. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

When we were there in may we literally flew through customs and were on the curb side in 30 minutes no kidding!!! Of course we ran, we always do. There were hardly lines at all, but just luck of the draw, other years it took much longer.

Ontario
Level Contributor
693 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving at Sangster International airport

I really think it depends on the time of day as well as the day you arrive. We arrived at 9:00a.m. on a Saturday and breezed through. We went to Negril so it was a little before lunch that we arrived at the resort. We traded that luxury for no sleep the night before as we had to be at the airport by 3:00a.m.

Friends of ours arrived at 1:00pm on a Saturday and it was a 4 hour nightmare thru immigration & customs and then the 1. 5 hour drive to the resort. So, they lost the day anyway. This time we are taking an evening flight and not arriving until after 7:00pm and staying late in the evening on our departure day. I really consider the flight days as non-vacation days.

Also, someone posted the immigration/custom form here on Tripadvisor. That was great as we filled in the information leisurely at home and then just copied all the information on the forms we received on the flight.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica